Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calculation of pass depth of cut for threading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calculation of pass depth of cut for threading?

I'm using G32 to cut my threads (no support for G76 or other cycles) and would like to know the math to calculate the non-linear pass depth given a start (max) DOC and the desired final thread depth. I'm using a straight feed currently, but will be trying a flank compound infeed as well. I understand that the DOC should decrease to ease the work on the cutter as it descends into the tool.

The formula is in Machinerys Handbook. An easy way to do it is to reference charts like around page 94 of this document from sandvik.

https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/_la....pdf&view=true

Dan
    Last edited by danlb; 10-23-2020, 04:01 PM.
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

This is the reference you really want. I knew I'd seen it somewhere. http://www.mitsubishicarbide.com/en/...eading_methods

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Thank you Dan. I'll look it over and break out the calculator!

Comment

Size of thread, thread form and material will dictate the DOC as you go. A V-thread can often have a fairly deep first pass then make them smaller as you you reach full depth.
          If tool wear is less important then cycle time then put the screws to it and use the maximum DOC that the tool will live through.

I realize that you can not do this but these are the parameters that I use for 1 1/4-4 Acme threads in brass, I usually make 10 at a time, the customer beats them up rapidly (-:

Screen

.006" first pass, .004" afterwards then the last 2 passes are at .001" with 2 springs.

Comment

Working...
          X