This time, its for me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This time, its for me!

Back when i made my living as metals craftsman i was always pushing to learn more. As a consequence i became quite good programing and running cnc machines. I enjoyed it very much and still enjoyed handwork and manual machining too. Well that was 30 years ago. I currently have a nice little workshop where i can make things from fine jewelry to artillery to 30 foot yachts. A couple of years ago i added 3d printing which brought me back into the digital manufacturing realm. This week i am going deeper in, by purchasing a cnc plasma cutting system. Just a small set-up with a 25 x 33 inch work area. I already have medium duty plasma cutter with a 5/8ths thickness working capacity at 60% duty cycle. I have a nice little list of projects just waiting in the wings for when this would happen. I am like a kid getting a puppy. Once i place the order, i will have about 5 weeks to wait. So plenty of time to come up to speed on my Fusion360 skills. More to follow.

There are some fellow near me who are making a small fortune out of their garage with a setup like that. They are making all kinds of locally-themed (Buffalo) souvenirs and trinkets for the stores around here, out of ~22ga steel sheet. Example, a silhouette of a bison sold in every grocery store here, sells for $12 ea and they have hundreds if not thousands of them. And key fobs, and the area code as a wall-hanger, etc. Being that they are doing sheet-metal I imagine their production costs are very low and speed is high.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Congrats. What plasma table did you get?

It's amazing the manufacturing capabilities one can have in their home shops these days for very little money. I just added a Tormach CNC mill a couple weeks ago, and am wanting to build a CNC plasma table in the near future too. I've been toying with different designs and ideas in my head for years, but as much as I want a big table to handle full sheets, I don't have the space for one, and need something about 3'x5' with pass through capabilities for full sheets.

Fusion is a pretty intuitive software package to learn IMO, and there is an amazing amount of tutorials and videos covering every aspect of it. I've never used the CAM side of it, but will probably go down that road for programing the tormach in the future. Especially when I add a 4th axis.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
        Congrats. What plasma table did you get?

It's amazing the manufacturing capabilities one can have in their home shops these days for very little money. I just added a Tormach CNC mill a couple weeks ago, and am wanting to build a CNC plasma table in the near future too. I've been toying with different designs and ideas in my head for years, but as much as I want a big table to handle full sheets, I don't have the space for one, and need something about 3'x5' with pass through capabilities for full sheets.

Fusion is a pretty intuitive software package to learn IMO, and there is an amazing amount of tutorials and videos covering every aspect of it. I've never used the CAM side of it, but will probably go down that road for programing the tormach in the future. Especially when I add a 4th axis.
        I am getting the CrossFire system from Langsmuir co. I have been looking over their system for a year and have seen many review videos. I have already designed and add on table for infeeding longer projects.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
          There are some fellow near me who are making a small fortune out of their garage with a setup like that. They are making all kinds of locally-themed (Buffalo) souvenirs and trinkets for the stores around here, out of ~22ga steel sheet. Example, a silhouette of a bison sold in every grocery store here, sells for $12 ea and they have hundreds if not thousands of them. And key fobs, and the area code as a wall-hanger, etc. Being that they are doing sheet-metal I imagine their production costs are very low and speed is high.
          Here in Puget Sound its orcas, and otters, elk, bears and Bigfoot. Also the indigenous arts lend themselves to graphic arts interpretation. Here is a little table ornament i made this week.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	00EB1954-953C-4364-9B22-98DBB91C526B.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	1940384

Comment

I am enjoying the Langmuir Systems cnc table very much. Having assembled this table one can easily see that a clever person could easily build this out for greater capacity. It can also be used for oxy- acetylene cutting for much thicker plate. Or even as a cnc router for other materials as well as a fiberoptic laser cutter. They even have an add on z-axis head. I am using SheetCam to take my CAD and dxf files to g-code. Even after the post process to the table’s controller, there is great on-the-fly options, such as feed-rate control, rotation, and scaling. Not wanting to read as an advertisement, but i am just so pleased with this product. Also this is not a plug and play system, but with an 8 week turn around, you’ll have time to develop your chops, before its delivered. Also plenty of instructional videos and product review videos on you tube. Having fun!

Comment

Working...
            X