No announcement yet.

Slo-Syn TS25-1024 "stepper motor" info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume the depiction of batteries in diagram 17 indicates this is a DC configuration and the words tell us that one cycle of the potentiometer section would move the motor just one tooth interval (i.e. 100th of a circle). So this is not a continuously rotating motor but one that steps forwards and backwards according to the voltages produced by the potentiometer thingy.

I do not have and have never seen anything like the potentiometer arrangement but I do have a variety of Slo-Syn devices and I expect they will still be sitting on their shelf when I am carried out the door for the last time.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
      So it would seem. It is actually a "PSC" motor, and nothing to do with a stepper despite what it says at the top of the label.

It is not a PSC in the general sense of the word and typical application, it is a combination, if you like, that uses stepper motor technology in order to synchronize the stepping rate to the frequency of the supply.
      If you were to dismantle and inspect it before any other information, you would deduce it is a stepper motor. 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post

It is not a PSC in the general sense of the word and typical application, it is a combination, if you like, that uses stepper motor technology in order to synchronize the stepping rate to the frequency of the supply.
        If you were to dismantle and inspect it before any other information, you would deduce it is a stepper motor. 🤔
        it's too bad that a couple of the relevant illustrations from the link are missing..... I have not yet found a sequence that steps this motor, although the link claims it can be done, and illustrates it with fig 20 which is unfortunately a broken link
        2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

The Slo-Syn manual shows the phase shift capacitor version similar to a typical PSC arrangement, Also 2 phase arrangement where a 2 phase supply with 90deg shift can be used to operate the motor from 0 Hz to approx. 100Hz, to obtain 334 rpm for the TS series.

Comment

Is that stepping or just running?

I'd say that of course it will "run" if you electronically set up the same phase as with the PSC. Getting it to "step" is a bit different, as there is no inertia helping "pull it through". All combinations so far seem to step it forward a step, then back a half or so. At that point, it does not step forward. It sure will lock up with DC, however.

The link above from The Artful Bodger is supposed to have a circuit for stepping the 3 wire unit, but unfortunately that illustration is a broken link.
            2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Working...
            X