Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1973 Cincinnati Milacron retrofit. Starting slowly..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1973 Cincinnati Milacron retrofit. Starting slowly..

Finally getting back to this project... Only be a few years...

Holy smokes Sam !!! That's a huge project, anyone but you I would say didn't have a prayer of completing it. Having seen a lot of your prior work, there is no doubt it will turn into a class act retrofit. STILL.... a huge project not for the faint of heart !

Comment

Lol - this one seems so easy compared to the K&T...

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
      Holy smokes Sam !!! That's a huge project, anyone but you I would say didn't have a prayer of completing it. Having seen a lot of your prior work, there is no doubt it will turn into a class act retrofit. STILL.... a huge project not for the faint of heart !

Comment

Just need a couple NEMA17 steppers and you should be good to go.

Comment

Right!? Just have to gear them down a bit... and maybe a little bigger stepper for the spindle?

Originally posted by macona View Post
          Just need a couple NEMA17 steppers and you should be good to go.

Comment

Everything you need to get it up and running is on banggood!

Looks like a fun project and a pretty big undertaking. A good iron foundation to start with for sure.

Are you going to keep some hydraulics for a drawbar/collet setup? or did it not have one?

Comment

We need to keep some hydraulics.. The transmission has a 2 speed gear box with brake. The 2 turrets are also hydraulic. I was tempted to try to get the hydraulic servos going then thought better of it. Too much noise running the hydraulic pump required to do that.. We should get by with a horse or 2 hydraulic pump now..

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
              Everything you need to get it up and running is on banggood!

Looks like a fun project and a pretty big undertaking. A good iron foundation to start with for sure.

Are you going to keep some hydraulics for a drawbar/collet setup? or did it not have one?

Comment

lol - 73 technology. It was cheaper to switch out 2 sets of resolvers than to the the math in the controller. It is so easy now...

The leadscrew is 2tpi. There is an initial gear ratio that makes the imperial resolver spin 1 rotation ever .200" Then this goes into a 50:127 ratio that then makes the metric resolver spin at 2mm per revolution..

spring loaded split gears that have 0 backlash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211024_210419509.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	5.00 MB
ID:	1967237

Also one dc generator for velocity feedback to the servo drive...

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211024_210431213.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	4.08 MB
ID:	1967238

Comment

Especially we now have servos that have million count encoders standard. Im replacing the Z servo on my mill with a Sigma 5 servo from yaskawa. Last gen so only 131k line encoder, lol.

Comment

I wonder the recent need for encoders with such high resolutions, and the impossibility of positioning to such high a resolution, for many decades machines have been typically capable of positioning to the least input increment of 2µm using a few thousand pulse/rev encoders!! 🙄

Comment

I agree - also you have to look at the specs of the encoder. Someone kept touting that this certain serial encoder was 16 bit - so pretty high count!.. But if you actually looked at the spec - it was only accurate to .1 degree.... which comes out to a 1000 cpr encoder (4000 count)

The cui capacitive encoders that people seem to love.. (I have not had good luck with them for positioning - very noisy....) say they have an accuracy of .2 degrees... .2!?

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post
                      I wonder the recent need for encoders with such high resolutions, and the impossibility of positioning to such high a resolution, for many decades machines have been typically capable of positioning to the least input increment of 2µm using a few thousand pulse/rev encoders!! 🙄

Comment

resolvers are actually pretty nice - they don't care about the environment.. I just don't have a resolver interface at the moment..

Comment

Working...
                        X