Relatively cheap 3d scanner available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relatively cheap 3d scanner available

There's probably a few of you that have started noticing the videos on you tube circulating about the Revopoint Pop 2 scanner. Seems like a pretty good deal on a decently capable scanner for the home hobbiest market. I just pledged to the kickstarter program for a basic standard package (already have a few powerbanks, and reviews of the turntable aren't that great so I'll roll my own). I know there are a bunch of other options out there for DIY photogrammetry, but for $550 CDN I figured It was a pretty cheap option to get started for someone like me who isn't the most tech and computer savvy.

This is the first kickstarter program I've ever pledged to, so heres hoping I don't get burned. Sounds like they have a proven track record of delivering as advertised with very few hiccups, so I can't wait till February.

Anybody else pledge for one? On the fence? Already have the first gen pop scanner or other?

I'm not sure how you can get "burned" on a Kickstarter. You should assume going in there is a possibility it may flop. The vast majority of new ventures fail afterall.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

True, they don't charge you until it's delivered, but I was more thinking along the lines of the product sucks, and doesn't work as advertised.

Considering this is the 2nd version of the Pop scanner, the odds are pretty high that it will work, and not be a total flop. I did a bunch of research this morning about the original one, and it's seems pretty decently capable of the stuff I'd use it for. The Pop 2 just seems like a better more ironed out version of it, with a touted higher resolution.

Comment

Just got an update that the campaign was successful and they charged my card. Scanner is scheduled to arrive in Feb some time.

I will update this when it gets here and I have time to play with it more.

Can't wait. Time to get carving.

Comment

Keep us updated, thanks for posting
          Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Amazing that something like this is so accessible. I'm caught off guard enough that I haven't had the soak time to come up with all the things one would want to do with it. Have you some specific projects in mind?

Please post on it once you start using it and see what it can do
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Dan, not sure if you have seen this or if it will help you, but I stumbled across this video talking about inexpensive scanners. He goes over the scanner you are considering or at least a version of it. He is scanning large items, though and I don't know what you want to do with it.

FWIW - I see the need for an inexpensive scanner, too. I would like to learn CAD to eventually use on my automotive projects. Just like the guy in the video, it would be nice to be able to scan areas of the chassis or body to plan mods. Caution - There is some bad language in the video if that bothers you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEDek-ztaAw

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                Amazing that something like this is so accessible. I'm caught off guard enough that I haven't had the soak time to come up with all the things one would want to do with it. Have you some specific projects in mind?

Please post on it once you start using it and see what it can do
                I knew there were photogrammetry apps for using phones, and other things like xbox motion cameras, but as an all in one purpose built solution at that price it's super cheap for it's stated capabilities. I have my doubts about the 0.1 accuracy, but even it's in the ballpark I could still find utility for it. I sure there will be a learning curve, but you tube university should shorten that a bit.

My main use will be for digitizing lure carvings so that I can resin print masters for silicone casting molds. It also lets me only carve one side, and end up with perfectly symmetrical lures. I also want to try scanning baitfish too. I'm curious to see how good it is with textures like scales and fins.

Scanning broken castings and other stuff like that, being able to scale up for shrinkage and 3d printing a pattern is another use in my sights. Scanning bought components for assembly modeling is another possible use.

I used to machine a lot of beefed up engine case covers for people when I was racing. Typical workflow was to remove the cover, measure a few hole-hole distances to get scale, and lay it on the flatbed scanner for the outer profile. Then I'd just model it it cad based on those parameters, and beefing it up where I could. I don't do that work anymore aside from the odd one every couple years, but I can see it being handy for that.

It's just another measuring tool to use where applicable. I'm sure I'll find other uses for it as they come. I think it will pair well with the resin printer to replicate small objects.

I just got another email this morning about they're getting ready to ship a bunch of units. I'm about in the middle of the orders so I'm hoping by the end of February it should get here. No hurry though, as it's arrival will just pull me away form other projects I'm trying to finish, I don't need another distraction right now. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluechips View Post
                  Dan, not sure if you have seen this or if it will help you, but I stumbled across this video talking about inexpensive scanners. He goes over the scanner you are considering or at least a version of it. He is scanning large items, though and I don't know what you want to do with it.

FWIW - I see the need for an inexpensive scanner, too. I would like to learn CAD to eventually use on my automotive projects. Just like the guy in the video, it would be nice to be able to scan areas of the chassis or body to plan mods. Caution - There is some bad language in the video if that bothers you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEDek-ztaAw
                  It's neat seeing what other people are using them for. My Son is starting to get into rc, and it would be cool to scan a car, 3d print a buck and vacform a lexan sheet for a body. Might even be able to sell a few to supplement another money sucking hobby lol. 3d printing vacforming bucks would be awesome because you can make them porous.

Cheap easy custom blister packaging is another use I just thought of while typing that.

Comment

Yes the scanner and 3D printing would be a great fit. I built a scanner using a Microsoft game attachment, can't think of the name right not and it was USB input to the computer and software you download. Did not really work that great but it was based the technology above. The big issues on the scanned is there is no scale so you have the measure and then scale the object yourself in the 3D modeling software.

Comment

It was a Microsoft Kinect 360 I found it and repaired a broken wire in the connections, now trying to get it to work on Windows 10!

Comment

Cool. I watched a few videos about using one of those a while ago, and tried to find a cheap used one to play around with. Then a few videos later saw a review of the pop 2, and the kickstarter and just decided I don't have the knowledge, understanding and time to play around with something like that and the pop 2 looked like a pretty good gamble for the money for both the hardware and software.

Comment

Well I got the wires fixed, darn hard to strip wire and tiny, tiny but re-soldered and Finally found the correct software combo and it works!! Sort of but I really need to learn how it works before yelling hurrah.

Comment

Awesome. Keep us posted how it works. I'm always curious to learn about these things.

Comment

Working...
                            X