Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Sounds like an interesting machine Gary, do you have any pics of it, or is there a build thread I missed about it over the years. Your description of it doesn't remind me of anything I've ever seen.

That's the best part about being able to roll your own, is that you get something that works great for the scope of jobs that you do. Someday I'd love to make a small envelope very rigid high speed spindle/travel machine for cutting small molds. I'd also love to make a wood router, and also a plasma table. All specialty machines that would excel at certain jobs, but lack in other areas. Someday maybe, but until then I'll get by with a pretty well rounded Tormach and work within it's limits. I don't have any place to put them right now, unless I hang them from the ceiling, and believe me I've thought about it.

Leave a comment:

• garyhlucas
    replied
    Took a look at the hour meter in Mach 3 today on my homebuilt CNC. 6200 hrs! I know that a lot is the machine just sitting but because it is my house garage I don't leave it powered up. My machine is unusual, built like horizontal boring mill with a vertical spindle, that can be turned horizontal too. The table doesn't move and is an old heavy surface plate 24" square with the X axis bolted to the top. Travels are 18" x 18" x 18". The ways are THK high precision high speed linear rails with 20mm ballscrews. I have a 4500 rpm belt drive minimill spindle and a 2-1/4 hp 25,000 rpm router spindle. I have a bigger Y, Z and table than a Tormach and much faster rapids at 300 ipm. Full enclosure like a Tormach too. However it is not as stiff so fine finishes are difficult. I do a lot of work though that wouldn't fit a Tormach envelope. Just did a 14" diameter gear for the FIRST robotics team.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the vf1 and vf2 share the same footprint. Same thing as the vf3/vf4. Same base castings, and outside footprint, just larger x travel for only 3k more is a pretty good bargoon IMO. The vf1 with a 4th parked on the table is pretty tight for a vise. Lots of room in the vf2.
    If that's true, I wasn't aware of it. I've never seen them side by side.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the vf1 and vf2 share the same footprint. Same thing as the vf3/vf4. Same base castings, and outside footprint, just larger x travel for only 3k more is a pretty good bargoon IMO. The vf1 with a 4th parked on the table is pretty tight for a vise. Lots of room in the vf2.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    Back on topic, think I'll shift gears into getting a VF2, but this will require moving or building a shop on some land where I can get 3 phase power. Probably move while I'm at it. This is where the mini mill ends up winning. Bah...
    Curious why you jump right over the VF-1? Beside work envelope size, what else will the larger machine get you?

The HAAS mini mill, touted as a garage sized machine and single phase is taller than you might think. Possible difficulties getting it under a residential garage door and for at least one owner, necessitated cutting a hole in his ceiling to clear the spindle assembly in the raised position.

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    Just from a practical standpoint I would like to point out that it sounds like you are pinning your business plan around one machine. When you have machine down time which will inevitably happen at some point this could really hurt. Maybe a small high-speed machine for aluminum milling and a second machine for other work would make more sense. Maybe a pair of machines with different ideal capacities, but some overlapping capability. Something like a 30,000 RPM cm1 and a 4 or 5,000 RPM decent size CNC knee mill.

Maybe you'll get lucky and find an old office Mill for sale used in good condition.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    I think I want a machine I can grow into. VF2SS, Through spindle coolant, chip auger. Yeah, won't go in my garage. Maine project needs to be finished first. This mill is going to cost 100k.
    ‚Äč

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    You mention having rental properties. Look into a buying a commercial space with a few units you can rent out, and occupy one of them with your machines. If you get to the point of hanging a shingle you will be more presentable in a commercial space than a garage shop. You also get to invest in the most profitable part of a manufacturing business. The real estate .

That was something I was thinking about before covid hit and our real estate prices went to the moon. Not sure its attainable anymore, so I kind of went another direction. I've been investing what I can, paying down debts, and stockpiling whatever cash is left as a hedge in case the market tanks (it can't keep going UP can it?). Probably still wont be able to swing it, but gotta plan for something.

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    Some types of AG property (depending on locale) can get 3 phase power to a farm shop. Of course if you have 100 acres with a pond you aren't going to want to hang out in the shop. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Back on topic, think I'll shift gears into getting a VF2, but this will require moving or building a shop on some land where I can get 3 phase power. Probably move while I'm at it. This is where the mini mill ends up winning. Bah...

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post

Well, not every great story has a happy ending.
    Oh, are you kidding? Those pilots became the highest paid in the world, happy ending for them!

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post

But they became Fed Ex...
    Well, not every great story has a happy ending.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Start with a VM2 if you can power it. The base price is a lot more, but the "standard" features are pretty darn good.

The thing is if I waited until I had enough extra without cashing in stuff I shouldn't to pay cash for a VM2 with all the options I still wouldn't be making parts. By nickle and diming my way along with crap machines, a rebuilt machine, and a decent pro-hobbyist machine I've been making parts since about 2006, selling parts since not long after, selling as an registered business since 2010 and doing it as my primary business since 2016. My way isn't the best way, but it was the best way for me.

Flying Tigers didn't start out with a huge fleet of brand new state of the art Jumbo Jets either.
    But they became Fed Ex...

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    Start with a VM2 if you can power it. The base price is a lot more, but the "standard" features are pretty darn good.

The thing is if I waited until I had enough extra without cashing in stuff I shouldn't to pay cash for a VM2 with all the options I still wouldn't be making parts. By nickle and diming my way along with crap machines, a rebuilt machine, and a decent pro-hobbyist machine I've been making parts since about 2006, selling parts since not long after, selling as an registered business since 2010 and doing it as my primary business since 2016. My way isn't the best way, but it was the best way for me.

Flying Tigers didn't start out with a huge fleet of brand new state of the art Jumbo Jets either.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    I'm taken back that everything I take for granted on the Centroid Acorn that it does for 300$ is split up into multi thousand dollar options.
    The base price is bull**** on any of their machines.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X