Harmonic Drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harmonic Drives

Just ordered a used Japanese made harmonic drive to make a 4th axis for my Taig mill. Shipping from Korea. Couldn't find a 100:1 ratio, got a 50:1. Thinking I will drive it with my all in one servo motor that takes step/dir from the G540.

Bet you get your harmonic 4th done long before me ! I bought a new harmonic drive off ebay a few years ago, its still in the box. I ended up taking the easy way out, parts out a 9x19 lathe I had that I bought dirt cheap. Used it because it gave me a faceplate, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, MT2 collets and a tailstock. Used a brushless servo with a belt drive. Worked out real nice.

Still want to do the harmonic someday, nothing matches that approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
      Bet you get your harmonic 4th done long before me ! I bought a new harmonic drive off ebay a few years ago, its still in the box. I ended up taking the easy way out, parts out a 9x19 lathe I had that I bought dirt cheap. Used it because it gave me a faceplate, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, MT2 collets and a tailstock. Used a brushless servo with a belt drive. Worked out real nice.

Thinking about getting a cast iron angle plate as a mount for it. It has angular contact bearings preloaded already so it can directly support the cutting forces.

Comment

I know a guy who lives close to a foundry and had some castings made for his harmonic 4th axis... (uk)

Someday I will get back to my minimally 3d printed 4th axis...

sam

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post

Thinking about getting a cast iron angle plate as a mount for it. It has angular contact bearings preloaded already so it can directly support the cutting forces.
          You did your homework much better than I did. The harmonic drive I got does not have its own support bearings. There are quite a few different configurations of harmonic drives. Some I seen even had their own internal servo motor, those are sweet for making a 4th axis.

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
            I know a guy who lives close to a foundry and had some castings made for his harmonic 4th axis... (uk)

Someday I will get back to my minimally 3d printed 4th axis...

sam
            Yes ! That 3d printed 4th axis thread you had on here was extremely interesting ! Hope to see it continued some day.

Comment

I also enjoyed the 3D printed harmonic drive videos.

Comment

Me three as well.

Keep us posted on the build RB. Building a 4th for the Tormach is creeping up high on my list.

Comment

MT2? In the spindle? My 8.5x18 has an MT3 spindle as does the 7x10. I use an MT3 to 3C adapter in both with a spin handle draw tube. Well, I hardly use either any more, but...
                  *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post

MT2? In the spindle? My 8.5x18 has an MT3 spindle as does the 7x10. I use an MT3 to 3C adapter in both with a spin handle draw tube. Well, I hardly use either any more, but...
                    Maybe it is a MT3, been quite a while since I bought the collet set.

Comment

Maybe it is a MT3, been quite a while since I bought the collet set.
                      I'm 99.9% sure it is MT3, the tailstocks are MT2

Comment

This is one SERIOUSLY nice harmonic drive for 199$. Think I'll start looking for more used parts from Korea!!
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220406_210352474.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	1995827 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220406_210403682.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	2.08 MB
ID:	1995828

Comment

What size through hole? I'd love to build a 4th that can take a 1" bar through the spindle.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                            What size through hole? I'd love to build a 4th that can take a 1" bar through the spindle.
                            1.024 or 26mm. Keep in mind though that you drive this drive via the inner shaft, so if you bolt to the front, that'll eat up a a lot of room. The next size up is 299$ used. Metal musings on YouTube has a build series of a 4th axis using that one.

Comment

Thanks, Just looked up his build and he's driving it inline. I want to drive one with a belt, leaving the through spindle for Mill turn style operation. Looks like that bolt circle on the back, while small, should be able to be utilized for a custom pulley to be drive from the side. The price is pretty good too. $250 CDN shipped. A 29mm through hole version is only $285 CDN shipped. Looks like I'm about to be $285 lighter in the wallet pretty soon lol
                              Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 04-06-2022, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X