No turning back, bought servo & control package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey McG,

How are you coming along on the Series I Project?

Terry
    Terry

There's only one way to find out, might as well get started now!

Comment

The servo drives do not care if they run off of single phase or three, though I think you will have to jumper one of the two live phases to the third phase terminal. Does not matter which. I think there is a parameter that turns off three phase detection. I cant remember. I have the same Sigma-II series drives in my cnc laser welder.

I would just get a vfd for the spindle, then you can run the whole thing off of single phase and ditch the RPC.

And I notice that this a real late reply. Just send me a PM next time!

Comment

Great thread for me to find at this moment. I bought a Tree 2UVRC that came with old Tektronix controls and other electronics that are not working and outdated. Trying to decide if I should just go manual with the entire machine or upgrade the existing drives to new controls or just do what McGyver did and start over from scratch.
        Since this machine came originally as a CNC machine, the ball screws are in place and it has the drive motors and belts so hoping to reuse them and go with new controls if it isn't too expensive to upgrade.
        Since this thread is over 5 years and ongoing, would this info still be current enough to use, or would I be better off to check into what is available now- controls, programs, etc....????

Macona, you live close by, would you have a bit of time to look at a machine and advise me on which way to go and how to accomplish it?

Thanks,
        Bob

Comment

I'm not sure if anyone is even watching this thread anymore but thought I would at least test the waters.

I may need to buy a VFD for this unit. I have one large enough for the head motor and I will be putting that in a Nema 4 Jbox along with the feed coming from the service panel along with whatever other controls I need to add, which will split off for the other electrical needs- the servo motors mainly, along with the controls I will need to power at 120V. There is already a large box on the back of the machine for servo control equipment and one I took off the swing arm similar to the OP's box that I could use.
          My Servo motors don't seem to have labels on them so I'm scratching my head what to come up with for a load figure so I can include it in my electrical feed calculation for the machine feed. I know the main head motor draws 4.8 amps @ 240V 3 ph so the input at the VFD will need about 7 amps on the 240V single phase side. Any thoughts on what figures to use for the servo motors? Approximate wattage these might draw?

Thanks,
          Bob
          Last edited by BobSchu; 03-20-2016, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
            The servo drives do not care if they run off of single phase or three, though I think you will have to jumper one of the two live phases to the third phase terminal. Does not matter which. I think there is a parameter that turns off three phase detection. I cant remember. I have the same Sigma-II series drives in my cnc laser welder.

I would just get a vfd for the spindle, then you can run the whole thing off of single phase and ditch the RPC.

And I notice that this a real late reply. Just send me a PM next time!
            Thanks!

guys sorry I was so slow to respond.....i was thinking no one was watching anymore

this project has been holding down floor for awhile..... glad the thread resurfaced, it gives me a nudge. 501 projects on the go and each occasionally percolates to the top. There's several machine tool recondition projects, lots of model engines, lots of welding, lots of everything on the list.....I get most of it done in an evening in my mind, the real world seems to take forever! Off now to make some small carbide scrapers for the V ways on the holbrook b8
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
            X