Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denford Orac CNC

Hi

I wonder if you coud advise me on this one.
    I have a 1985 Orac CNC complete with auto tool changer etc. The lathe is still in good working order, however I cannot source any data storage tapes and the old BBC computer is now defunct. I wonder if anyone could point me in the direction of more modern software that will run on a PC and that would not require the use of the data tapes.
    I would not wish to do a full conversion of the electronics at this stage as I don't have the spare funds or time, and it would be a shame to scap stuff that is still working.
    I suppose I am looking for a program that will hep me generate the G code and transfer it using the existing RS232 link and not require the data tape.

thanks in advance
    Offbeat

If it is plain RS232 link then try the free single use version of Cadem lite.
    http://www.cadem.com/dnc.htm
    You have to register now to run it, but it is a nice little program.
    Otherwise anything from the old DOS Modem programs, Qmodem etc, to Windows Terminal, now it is Hyper-terminal which is a bit of a Pain.
    Max.

Comment

Thanks Max, I shall download a copy and give it a try.
      In the longer term I intend to convert it to modern electrics but this might do for now.
      On reading my original post I think my keyboard needs a blow out with the air line to get all the biscuit crumbs from under the keys!!!!
      Offbeat.

Comment

Have you looked around on the Denford forum? There are ORAC modification threads in several forums but the guys over there are probably the most active with them.

Here's a link to the ORAC forum but look around on the rest of the site as well & you may find what you're needing. http://www.denfordata.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=43 If there's a way to hack into the controller and get straight onto the step & direction pins you can control it with Mach3 through the parallel port on an XP PC and get away from all the proprietary software. There's at least 2 very good support sites for Mach3 which helps a lot.

I have an ORAC retrofit close to being finished but I started with just the bare lathe and a picked clean lower cabinet so my experiences wouldn't be any help to you.

Sure wish I had your ATC.
        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Yes I landed lucky there, only paid £80 for the complete machine a few years back, it was ex-college and probably never done more than a few hours work since new.
          The ideal situation would be to get an interface board to work with the old stepper drivers, but I think there might be some issue with the control signal voltage or so I read somewhere.
          I already have a copy of Mach3.

Will follow up your links.

Would be keen to see your conversion.

Comment

Here's a link to my ORAC conversion and another one to Jim Glass's.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...highlight=ORAC

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...hlight=denford
            Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Hi excuse me jumping in here I just got orac cnc lathe myself but it has no chuck. Can anyone tell me what the spindle nose taper is so I can look for a chuck to suit. Also I need a key to reset the emergency stop button anyone got a spare.

Appreciate any help.

Comment

The ORAC is based on the Emco Compact 8 manual lathe and has a somewhat unique spindle nose taper. All that I could find in past searched is "similar to DIN 55021."

Unfortunately, the only stuff you'll find anywhere that'll bolt on is original Compact 8 or ORAC parts and are expensive. I put an ER32 collet chuck on mine that was originally meant to fit a Sieg mini-lathe. I had to drill 3 holes to fit the ORAC flange but otherwise it bolted right on.
                Milton

Comment

If there's anyone in the UK that needs help converting a denford machine, or need one converted. PM me and i'll give you my contact details. I've converted hundreds of denford machines to mach3.

Comment

Working...
                  X