X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chucketn
    • Jan 2010

Kwackers CNC Rotary Table Controller

Anyone here sucessfully build Kwackers digital RT controller (project origionally on CNCzone)? I have found out my PIC programmer I bought off e-bay is a pirate copy of DIY's programmer. It will not program the 18F452 or 18F4520 PIC used in the project. I'm looking for someone in the USA to program my PIC for me. Can anyone help? I will pay shipping both ways of my chips, or buy a chip or two from you, and pay for the programing.
    I had a devil of a time making a PCB. Finally got a good one etched and want to complete this project.

Chuck
  • chucketn
    • Jan 2010

I purchased a 1 axis stepper driver board on e-bay. I expected it to come with an application data sheet or info on how to hook it up, but it didn't.
    Picture here: Digital RT controller Photos by chucketn | Photobucket

On the left is the input from the control circuit from top to bottom +5v, Pul, Dir and EN. I do not know what values PUL, DIR and EN should be.
    On the right from top to bottom: A+, A-, B+, B-, +24V, GND.

This driver is to become part of my Digital RT controller project.

Anyone familiar with this Stepper Driver? It's based on the TB6560AHO chip.

Can anyone suggest a simple test setup to see if it works?

I have a TEC CBA45-01101 3v unipolar stepper I want to drive with it.

I also have 5VDC and 12VDC wall warts to provide power for testing. I do know from the E-Bay listing it can handle 12-24v for stepper supply.How can I provide simple Pul, Dir and EN signals to the input? Can I safely drive a 3v stepper with 12v?

Chuck

Comment

• ironmonger
      • Jul 2009

Did a Google search and came up with this:

might help...
      Did you find someone to program the chip?
      I have an few year old PICkit 2 clone... don't know if it covers that series but I can check it out if you haven't found a source as yet.

paul

Originally posted by chucketn View Post
      I purchased a 1 axis stepper driver board on e-bay. I expected it to come with an application data sheet or info on how to hook it up, but it didn't.
      Picture here: Digital RT controller Photos by chucketn | Photobucket

On the left is the input from the control circuit from top to bottom +5v, Pul, Dir and EN. I do not know what values PUL, DIR and EN should be.

This driver is to become part of my Digital RT controller project.
      <snip>

Chuck
      paul
      ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
      but you may have to

Comment

• robosilo
        • Jun 2011

I've done a "fair" amount of 8 bit programming using microchip products. I have a PicKit2 a PicKit3 and had a ICD2 until it was stolen. If it's just a matter of loading the hex file onto the chip and sending it back to you i could do that. I'm located in milwaukee wisconsin.

If it's an issues where the file you have won't load onto the chip and you have the .C file or file I could look at it. The 18F's are handy because they are 8 bit and can run C. I'm no C expert but i've muddled my way through enough programs. As far as I know the pickit2/3 can handle the 18F series. You just need to wire it properly and set the system voltage to below 3.6. One thing that is easy to miss is whether or not low voltage programming is on/off. When programming for the first time i believe it defaults to low voltage but the default on the chip from the factory is high voltage.

Comment

• isaac338
          • Aug 2007

I just bought most of the parts to build one of these myself. As such, I'd also be interested in getting a PIC programmed - I'm down to buy a programmer and do it myself but knowing me I'd buy one that isn't compatible or doesn't work or something..

My free sample PIC is on the way and needs programming!

Comment

• robosilo
            • Jun 2011

I'd be happy to help! I can either do the programming loading for you or walk you through it. You'll need either the Pic Kit 1 Pic Kit 2, Pic Kit 3, MPLAB ICD2 or ICD3. They are also listed in order of price (lowest to highest). The programmers are available on the microchip site our though Mouser electronics or Newark electronics, both very large (and i feel trustworthy) distributors. You'll also need to make or buy a header board to be able to plug in the 18F chip. The board that comes with the pic Kit 2 starter kit or pic Kit 1 isn't compatible with the 18F.

if you want me to program it then i'll need the chip and a copy of the file/files that are to be loaded onto the chip. Hopefully there is just a single Hex file and they aren't giving you anything that you need to worry about compiling files. PM me if you want me to handle it for you.

thanks

Comment

• chucketn
              • Jan 2010

Thanks for the offer robosilo. I'll keep that in mind. I have found a design for a programming board for the 18F series and redrew it to make it easier to etch. I will try making the board myself. If I have too many problems, I'll be contacting you.
              The hex file is written and tested. I was given a PicKit2 to program it, but have to make the header board.

Chuck

Comment

• robosilo
                • Jun 2011

perfect. As always, the more you can do yourself the better and the more you'll learn from it. the header adapter is super simple to make.

Comment

• isaac338
                  • Aug 2007

robosilo, I have my sample PIC in the mail. I'd be interested in getting a programmer some day but for this project I'd rather just have someone program it for me - I'll PM you when the chip gets here. Thanks!

Comment

• kf2qd
                    • Apr 2007

You might look into an Arduino. The board is fairly inexpensive and the chips are fairly low cost and there is a lot of info and help on their forums. Arduino doesn't require a programmer for the basic board and it can be used as a programmer for non-initislized chips(chips that don't have a bootloader)

Comment

• sch
                      • Sep 2001

{On the left is the input from the control circuit from top to bottom +5v, Pul, Dir and EN. I do not know what values PUL, DIR and EN should be.
                      Can anyone suggest a simple test setup to see if it works?
                      I have a TEC CBA45-01101 3v unipolar stepper I want to drive with it.
                      I also have 5VDC and 12VDC wall warts to provide power for testing. I do know from the E-Bay listing it can handle 12-24v for stepper supply.How can I provide simple Pul, Dir and EN signals to the input? Can I safely drive a 3v stepper with 12v? }

The Pul(se) or Step, Dir(ection) and EN(able) signals are usually 0 volts off and +5 volts on, which can be generated easily by a 555/556 pulse generator circuit.
                      Stepper motors really have to be overdriven and 3v motors can handle pulses into the 30-40v range but the current needs to be controlled, a job of the driver.
                      www.geckodrive.com has a library of reference material which you should find helpful.
                      Steve

Comment

• revwarguy
                        • Nov 2013

An upcoming article on a stepper based indexer driven by an arduino will appear in Digital Machinist. In the meantime, description of the project is available here.
                        Gary
                        www.liming.org/TOC

Comment

• outback
                          • Jan 2004

Yes I have made an index controller using Steve Wards board and splash screen. Mine turned out very well and I use it all the time.

Follow this link with clear detailed wring instructions particularly wiring the keypad:

I looked for a controller like this one for years. Lots of controllers that require a computer for programming but this is a stand alone stepper controller. Plus I built mine for about $100.

Jim
                          So much to learn, so little time

Comment

Working...
                          X