Replacement Stepper Drives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Stepper Drives

Saw a recent post in another thread. It indicated that one of the Gecko drives was "out dated", and there were better/cheaper options available.

I am retro-fitting a mill that came with a CNCmasters kit. The drives have been identified as Gecko 201's and I have already replaced 1 with a Gecko 203V. I may have damaged the other 2 as well, but they may be repairable. Waiting on reply from Gecko to send them in for evaluation.

Are there other options available that plug directly onto the board to replace the Gecko's? This is how I damaged the other 2, when I installed the 203V I changed the common signal from 5V+ to ground, and reversed the step and dir signals from - to +. What I didn't realize, was that the #10 pin on all 4 axes is common across the board (circuit on the bottom of the board, and didn't see it. Should have checked with a DMM) I am using 1600in/oz steppers at 70V.

thanks,
    Ken

Anaheim automation makes some good stuff. I have one of brushless DC motors that i'm happy with.

http://www.anaheimautomation.com/pro...ist.php?cID=20

Otherwise Leadshine makes some half way decent drives. I recently upgraded my little taig with their 3 phase closed loop steppers and have been very happy with the performance. I haven't used their 2 phase drives but they seem to have nice features and their sales staff was pretty helpful.

http://www.leadshine.com/ProductList.aspx?Type=15

Comment

Originally posted by customcutter View Post
      Saw a recent post in another thread. It indicated that one of the Gecko drives was "out dated", and there were better/cheaper options available.

That comment, I would imagine, be related to Geckos Servo drives, their stepper drives have always been good and are probably still one of the best.
      Hood

Comment

Originally posted by Hood View Post
        That comment, I would imagine, be related to Geckos Servo drives, their stepper drives have always been good and are probably still one of the best.
        Hood
        Just did a google search and you're correct the 320's were servo's, didn't realize that.

Gecko couldn't give me an estimate on cost to "evaluate" the drives, I may have damaged. Also won't allow "evaluation" charges to be applied toward purchase of upgraded 203V's if I elect not to repair. I guess I'll send them in anyway and hope for the best.

thanks,
        Ken

Comment

We used all geckos at laika. They rarely fail and when they do you can send them in to have them repaired, though I usually replaced the mosfets myself. Stuff like shorted windings or cables are what usually took them out.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
            We used all geckos at laika. They rarely fail and when they do you can send them in to have them repaired, though I usually replaced the mosfets myself. Stuff like shorted windings or cables are what usually took them out.
            I guess you could say the first one was a shorted cable. I thought I had turned off the controller, and was switching cables on the X & Y axis, when I unplugged the cable from the board I saw the spark. Funny thing is it worked the rest of the day, and started up the next morning. Then it suddenly died. Shorted across 1 & 3,4,5,6 and 2 & 3,4,5,6. According to their FAQ and talking to Marcus it's probably dead. Hoping the other 2 are repairable, not reading any shorts.

thanks,
            Ken

Comment

Working...
            X