Do u own a cnc you would recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do u own a cnc you would recommend?

Does anybody have a cnc mill/router that they bought and cut aluminum with it and would recommend it to someone else to buy one.

Routers and mills are two different machines. You say in the other thread you want to do AR-15 lowers. You need a mill, not a router.

What to get is determined by how much space you have. A small used VMC would be nice. Something like a Kitamura MyCenter 0 or a Fanuc Robomill. We have a really neat 5 axis HMC at work, a Makino MC40. If you have the floor space it is a nice little machine. Since it is horizontal it takes up more square footage.

Why start another thread for the same subject?
    Last edited by macona; 07-20-2013, 04:40 AM.

Comment

I would like to know what people own and are happy with. Then ill look up your machine and c if it fits the cost/needs i have. There was a stinger by Camaster brought up in a forum snd it looks fantastic w great reviews and everybody that owned one loves it,where as some people dont like stuff after they have it. The accuracy was great on stinger1 but i am not done hearing peoples opinions on other machines. I do have to admit everyones help has made me really reconsider that cnc routers are not cut out for the aluminum jobs. But im still taking peoples ideas on checking certain machines out. Its a scary thing to b in a position im in to make a large purchase and screw it up. i want to get this right the 1st time cause i wont have another shot,ever w my situation. Sorry if im annoying people w ignorant expectations. Just a very difficult buy w all the products and false info out there. The 1st one i wouldve bought off ebay would have been a HORRIBLE mistake that was waaayy underpowered. So now im trying to b more informed. Thanks for the machines to look at!!!

Comment

Has anybody used the Velox machines advertised here on our site? Or the Bolton M4? The M4 is alittle small but curious about it cause it looks like a stout mill.

Comment

I found some very nice Supermax mills ,cnc, are these a reliable mill?Anybody have one? Table was something like 9"by42"ish. Bridgeport like design.

Comment

I found 3 Hurco's that look good also. Like the gentleman said earlier i could make a router attachment on knee type mill gor engraving. Hurco looks like a well built one.

Comment

A Hurco in good working condition would be a fine choice. You need a 3 axis mill, not a router. I do engraving on my mills all the time at 3000 RPM. It may not be able to feed as fast as something at 20,000 or 30.000 RPM but it works fine. I'm usually running 1 or 2 inches a minute feedrate for engraving.
              I have 2 Milltronics mills and am very happy with them.
              Last edited by Toolguy; 07-20-2013, 10:43 PM.
              Kansas City area

Comment

Supermax machines are good, I have a Supermax YCM-16VS that was converted to cnc for Tektronix. I have since re-retrofitted it with Mitsubishi servos on all axes and replaced the spindle motor with one as well. Parts are easy to get and they are reasonably priced.

Hurcos are pretty good machines but some use a non-gcode interface, I believe. You have to use their conversational or have a specific post processor for the control.

Milltronics are also good. They have a very good conversational.

I use a spindle speeder (Nikken) that gives me 20k out from 4k in. I paid a couple hundred for it. Works very well but they have a limited duty cycle. They get pretty hot in use. A friend was thinking of building a water jacket to cool it.

Comment

Macona&toolguy i see a milltronics mill w something called conversational slso! Ill add that to me good list,and the supermax is a winner also then. I only spotted 1 milltronics i think w conversational but ive spotted 2-3 supermaxes. If a mill is "outdated" cnc equipment then dont most of these knee type mills cost approx.$5000 to replace cnc or make one a cnc. i seen some packages for them at$5000 but wasnt sure if that was a pretty basic rate from ur experience or this is a bland ignorant question that has to many factors.

Comment

Maybe look over the Tormach mill. There is a large following of satisfied users.

Comment

Thats a new one to me sparky. Ill have to search some of those up. might be so good nobody is selling those lol

Comment

Is Anilam(spelling may b off) still a functioning setup and useable ? Alot of machines have this and i just wanted to make sure it still is useable wo expensive upgrades.Ultimax 2 dual screen also seems on alot that ive looked at. Is this system still useable? I only ask cause ive seen some bridgeports w what looked like 2 ribbon wheels fir data which i assume is unusable. And u dont wanna get one and have to add all new hardware&software which i know is doable but rather have one ready to play.
                        Last edited by ogre; 07-21-2013, 11:55 AM.

Comment

All Milltronics lathes and mills have conversational. Tormach is a good system too. A friend of mine has one and likes it, but I don't know many details about them.
                          Kansas City area

Comment

Meh on the Tormach. Sure people like them, but people also like Olive Garden but that dont make it good food!

Yes, Anilams are still usable. Heck, if the control still works it is usable. G-code has not changed. Even paper tape machines are usable, they may have the reader but they also probably have a serial port to dump the programs in or drip feed. If a control works, use it. If it does not, try to fix it. Only in the case of a control and electronics being totally fried or unsupported would I consider retrofitting it.

Conversational is a "at the control" way of programming the machine for simple things. Like basic pocketing, hole patterns, contouring, and some basic engraving. You can usually stack the programs together to make a larger program. A friend has a Milltronics and most things he does can be done in conversational.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
                              Meh on the Tormach. Sure people like them, but people also like Olive Garden but that dont make it good food!
                              Specifically what about the Tormach do you not like?

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X