Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yaskawa Servo Project ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yaskawa Servo Project ?

    Hello to everyone,
    I am new to all of the cnc stuff but have researched quit a lot of info.here and other places as well.

    I think I am starting to understand just a little bit of the info. I have been pouring through.

    Now for my questions I have built a large plasma table 6'6"X16' and have purchased some Yaskawa servo's to drive my project I have 2 SGMA-04 motors for the X and Y axis and a 100 W for the z I have a SGDA-01AS drive for the Z and 2 SGDA-04AS for the X-Y from the research I have been doing it seems the 04AS drives will not work that I will need an SGDA-04AP and an 01AP for the z as well or will these drives work ?
    And what else will I need to complete the wiring to get the motors to run and what breakout board would be recommended ?
    I do not have a JUSP and would like a recommendation to purchase one or do I need one for each driver ?
    Thanks if you can help me out.
    Buckman

  • #2
    Originally posted by buckman View Post
    Hello to everyone,
    I am new to all of the cnc stuff but have researched quit a lot of info.here and other places as well.

    I think I am starting to understand just a little bit of the info. I have been pouring through.

    Now for my questions I have built a large plasma table 6'6"X16' and have purchased some Yaskawa servo's to drive my project I have 2 SGMA-04 motors for the X and Y axis and a 100 W for the z I have a SGDA-01AS drive for the Z and 2 SGDA-04AS for the X-Y from the research I have been doing it seems the 04AS drives will not work that I will need an SGDA-04AP and an 01AP for the z as well or will these drives work ?
    And what else will I need to complete the wiring to get the motors to run and what breakout board would be recommended ?
    I do not have a JUSP and would like a recommendation to purchase one or do I need one for each driver ?
    Thanks if you can help me out.
    Buckman
    Well, you CAN use the AS drives. You will just have to supply them an analog signal. You can do this a couple different ways. With LinuxCNC you can use something like a Mesa 5i25 PCI card with a 7i77 analog breakout. This will supply the +/-10v analog drive and take the encoder feedback and close the loop. Good, this is your cheapest option at a little over $200 for both boards and you use the drives you have, LInuxCNC is free. Bad, you have to mess around with linux and you ARE going to be spending some time tuning the loop.

    With Mach3 there are a few external controllers like the kflop with kanalog board or the dspmc/ip and the CSMIO/IP-A. Good: You are using Mach which is pretty easy to set up and get going and runs in windows. Bad, Mach3 itself has had very little work done on it in the last couple years and all attention has been put to Mach4 which I just am considering a bug fix. This is also the most expensive option. You will be spending $300 for Mach plus the controller which is another $500+

    Another option is the YAPSC:10V which is a step/dir to analog controller board you can makes. The source and board drawings are online. A choice on the tougher end of the scale.

    As for your JUSP, I am guessing you mean the external programming control. Most things can be done with a serial cable and the free SigmaWin software. The only thing you cant do (and have confirmed this with yaskawa) is set the drives rigidity setting with the software. There are two different devices available, one is a handheld pendant and the other snaps on front of the drive, I use the handheld one. You only need one for all the drives. You can move it along as you set them up.

    I am currently in the middle of putting together LinuxCNC for my laser welder with Yaskawa SGDH drives and motors.

    Comment


    • #3
      Would that SigmaWin software be useful for setting up a CACR-SR05AB drive along with a USREM motor?
      \
      I've been looking...

      tia
      Calm

      Comment


      • #4
        The CACR series of motors predate the Sigma series of motors and drives. They are strictly analog input and the settings for the drives are set with jumpers and trimpots on the boards. So you need to tune the loop between the drive and motor with an oscilloscope and then tune it with the controller, whichever one you choose.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by macona View Post
          Well, you CAN use the AS drives. You will just have to supply them an analog signal. You can do this a couple different ways. With LinuxCNC you can use something like a Mesa 5i25 PCI card with a 7i77 analog breakout. This will supply the +/-10v analog drive and take the encoder feedback and close the loop. Good, this is your cheapest option at a little over $200 for both boards and you use the drives you have, LInuxCNC is free. Bad, you have to mess around with linux and you ARE going to be spending some time tuning the loop.

          With Mach3 there are a few external controllers like the kflop with kanalog board or the dspmc/ip and the CSMIO/IP-A. Good: You are using Mach which is pretty easy to set up and get going and runs in windows. Bad, Mach3 itself has had very little work done on it in the last couple years and all attention has been put to Mach4 which I just am considering a bug fix. This is also the most expensive option. You will be spending $300 for Mach plus the controller which is another $500+

          Another option is the YAPSC:10V which is a step/dir to analog controller board you can makes. The source and board drawings are online. A choice on the tougher end of the scale.

          As for your JUSP, I am guessing you mean the external programming control. Most things can be done with a serial cable and the free SigmaWin software. The only thing you cant do (and have confirmed this with yaskawa) is set the drives rigidity setting with the software. There are two different devices available, one is a handheld pendant and the other snaps on front of the drive, I use the handheld one. You only need one for all the drives. You can move it along as you set them up.

          I am currently in the middle of putting together LinuxCNC for my laser welder with Yaskawa SGDH drives and motors.

          OK thanks that answered some of my questions 1 more for now. I think that from what I understand I would be better off if I try to find some SGDA-04AP drives than going with the other options.
          I can resale the drives I have (I hope) to help pay for the AP drive and this should not be a big expense but would it make the system go together easier ?

          Thanks for your help
          Buckman

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by macona View Post
            The CACR series of motors predate the Sigma series of motors and drives. They are strictly analog input and the settings for the drives are set with jumpers and trimpots on the boards. So you need to tune the loop between the drive and motor with an oscilloscope and then tune it with the controller, whichever one you choose.
            Thanks!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by buckman View Post
              OK thanks that answered some of my questions 1 more for now. I think that from what I understand I would be better off if I try to find some SGDA-04AP drives than going with the other options.
              I can resale the drives I have (I hope) to help pay for the AP drive and this should not be a big expense but would it make the system go together easier ?

              Thanks for your help
              Buckman
              Go together easier? A little. A few less wires. You will still have to tune the thing, the old SGDA drives dont have much of an auto tune. I would side on the linuxcnc route with the 5i25 whether you go with the analog or step/dir with the 7i76 card. You can get the 5i25 and the 7i76 in a combo for $200. Really good price when you consider that it gives you 5 axis of step/dir, dedicated input for an encoder, and isolated IO, (32 inputs, and 16 out.)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by macona View Post
                Go together easier? A little. A few less wires. You will still have to tune the thing, the old SGDA drives dont have much of an auto tune. I would side on the linuxcnc route with the 5i25 whether you go with the analog or step/dir with the 7i76 card. You can get the 5i25 and the 7i76 in a combo for $200. Really good price when you consider that it gives you 5 axis of step/dir, dedicated input for an encoder, and isolated IO, (32 inputs, and 16 out.)
                OK Thanks for the advice I will ck.the linuxcnc and have already gone to the Mesa site to look at the 5i25 and 7i76 and I think I will give it a try. What encoder does the motor have to have? I have one SGMAH-04AAA41 and 1 SGMA-04VF12 will these work ?

                Comment


                • #9
                  The SGMAH motor is a Series II motor so you need a drive like the SGDH drives. SGMA is second generation Sigma I and needs a SGDA drive. Sigma II moved to serial encoders and co-opted the firewire connector for the encoder connection.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by macona View Post
                    The SGMAH motor is a Series II motor so you need a drive like the SGDH drives. SGMA is second generation Sigma I and needs a SGDA drive. Sigma II moved to serial encoders and co-opted the firewire connector for the encoder connection.
                    OK thanks again for your help I will see if I can get them running. I am sure I will have some more questions before I get the project put together and hope you will have patience with me to give more help and advice.

                    Thanks again
                    Buckman

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      New question.
                      I have an SGME-04VF12 what does the E and VF represent ? will this work for a moion drive and what driver would it need ?
                      I have been looking at all the Yaskawa support and have not found these designations anywhere.
                      Thanks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        No idea. When the motors have custom shaft modifications they usually have odd model numbers, this could be that.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I have finally found it in the Yaskawa site, every thing except for the V and that is in the voltage nomanclature space. The motor says 200 V. I do have to have an SGDE servo pack to match the motor ?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I am guessing the E series was after the SGD and SGDA series. I am almost willing to bet the motors are the same and will work on the older drives. You would have to compare motor specs like encoder count. That is the only thing that would really matter. It was not until the serial version of these motors like in the Sigma IIs that the encoder transmitted the motor parameters to the drive for setup. On the original Sigmas you need to set the parameters for the motor you are using.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              What encoder do I want in my motor ? Incremental or Absolute ? for direction control
                              I thought I had this figured out but it seems I have overloaded my hard drive trying to soak all of this up.
                              Lots of info.to take in with way to many options for these motors and drives.
                              What would be a good motor/driver combination can you give me some examples ?
                              Thanks
                              Buckman

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X