CNC Workshop 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNC Workshop 2015

The CNC workshop will return in June of 2015. This is the continuation of the event started more than 10 years ago by Roland Friestad, then later run by DIGITAL MACHINIST magazine.

This year the workshop will be held at the TechShop in Allen Park Michigan, between Detroit and Ann Arbor. the location is very convenient to the Detroit area, the Detroit airport, and just across the road from the Henry Ford Museum. The workshop will run between June 15 and 20, with the main session opening Wednesday morning, June 17.

This year the format will be similar to the past years- we will have 3 days of continuous seminars about CNC aimed at the home shop user. We have classrooms ranging from a tiered auditorium for over 150 people to small conference rooms. We will have an area for commercial vendors to show their products, and an area for individuals to exhibit their projects.

We are now seeking people that want to present a seminar session, or exhibit their project. Speakers and exhibitors will receive a discount on the registration fee.

TechShop has setup a web form to collect input at http://tinyurl.com/techshopcncworkshop. Please use the form to get your name on the list for further information and to let us know what you are willing to present, or what you would like to hear about.

An added feature this year will be 2 days reserved for special, in-depth training session. TechShop will be offering selected training on using various machines, and we may have vendor specific training. These sessions will be on Monday and Tuesday before the main Workshop sessions begin. There may be an additional charge for these sessions. Please let us know on the information form of your interest in any in-depth training.

A build class, based on the micro mill from LittleMachineShop.com and led by Weston Bye will be included. This session is limited to 12 people, so if you are interested in building your own CNC mill please let us know quickly.

Registration will open about February 1. Please use the information form to get your name on the list and to tell us what you would like to see and hear at the workshop.

I hope we can make this years workshop even better than those of the previous years. Please let us know of your interest so we can plan the best workshop ever.
    ron ginger
    http://plsntcov.8m.com

I've submitted the web form for the Workshop and am looking forward to attending. Can you comment on any vendors that have expressed interest in the Workshop so far or mention possible topics for the training sessions?

Mike
    Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

We are still building the list of vendors and classes, and are in the process of developing a web site that we will be maintaining as details develop. I will post the website URL here as soon as its up- hopefully before this week is out.

At this time I am sure that a few vendors will be there, among them Newfangled Solutions and Brian Barker, PMDX.com and Steve Stallings, Pico Systems and Jon Elson, Tormach. I will get Joe Katona to add to this list, as he is the vendor manager for the workshop.

I have several seminars committed, a couple on Mach4, a couple on 3D printing, two on using Arduinos in the shop. Steve Stalings will talk about electrical noise issues and motor selection.

I also have two in-depth one day classes by Scott (Poppa Bear) Shaffer on using Lua in Mach4. These session will be on Monday and Tuesday.

I have a lot more in discussion and the details will be up as soon as possible.
      ron ginger

Comment

Based upon what you just entered Ron, it looks like this is a can't miss for me.
        Terry

There's only one way to find out, might as well get started now!

Comment

Originally posted by RonGinger View Post
          We are still building the list of vendors and classes, and are in the process of developing a web site that we will be maintaining as details develop. I will post the website URL here as soon as its up- hopefully before this week is out.

At this time I am sure that a few vendors will be there, among them Newfangled Solutions and Brian Barker, PMDX.com and Steve Stallings, Pico Systems and Jon Elson, Tormach. I will get Joe Katona to add to this list, as he is the vendor manager for the workshop.

I have several seminars committed, a couple on Mach4, a couple on 3D printing, two on using Arduinos in the shop. Steve Stalings will talk about electrical noise issues and motor selection.

I also have two in-depth one day classes by Scott (Poppa Bear) Shaffer on using Lua in Mach4. These session will be on Monday and Tuesday.

I have a lot more in discussion and the details will be up as soon as possible.
          Thanks Ron - that sounds like a great workshop. Will the seminars on 3D printing be focused on building or using them? I've got a Zortrax M200 3D printer with proprietary firmware and software and am still learning how to get the best print quality out of it.

Mike
          Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

Hi Ron,

Anything new on the workshop?

Thanks,

Terry
            Terry

There's only one way to find out, might as well get started now!

Comment

Last I heard (few weeks back) Ron was working on getting a website up an running to list classes and other information. I believe they are also getting pretty close to having things in place to allow registration and payment. We'll get the links posted here as soon as they are live.

Disclaimer: I'm not directly involved, so the following may not be 100% accurate and is subject to change.

It sounds like there will be a mini-mill build class for about 12 people, as was done previously. Still up in the air as to the actual mill and components to be used.

There will also be a couple of build classes for 3d printers. These will probably take two days.

There will be an informal swap meet out in the parking lot.
              George
              Traverse City, MI

Comment

OK! It took longer than expected, but the web site is up, registration is open and lots of details are now available.

See http://thecncworkshop.com

There will be a CNC mill build class- limited to 12 students, so if you want to get in do it fast. There will also be a 3D printer build class, and some special all day training, so far on Mach4 by Scott Schaffer.

We are still building the class schedule and the vendor list, but the start is on the web site.

Early registration, with a nice discount is open now. Make you plans and we will see everyone in June!
                ron ginger

Comment

If I might add, I am involved (one of the instructors) for a 3D printer build session on Tuesday and Wednesday, so if there are any specific questions about that you can ask them here or PM me.
                  Last edited by revwarguy; 04-14-2015, 10:02 AM.
                  Gary
                  www.liming.org/TOC

Comment

The mini mill class has been filled- 12 students, most of them saw the sample mill at NAMES and signed up.

There is still room in the 3D printer build and no real limit on attending the seminars.

I have several time slots for speakers, so if you would like to talk about your project let me know.
                    ron ginger

Comment

Ron - have the dates and times of the seminars been settled yet? A friend and I will be attending for a couple of days and would like to plan our activities around the seminars.

Mike
                      Mike Henry near Chicago

Comment

The daily schedule is now on the web, http://TheCNCworkshop.com We have almost every time slot filled, 4 sessions per day, in 4 classrooms. There are a couple empty spaces so I could still fit in a couple speakers. I am sure there will be a few changes, but I will try to hold it to a minimum, since I know people want to schedule their days.

Dont forget Saturday morning with the CNC swap/flea market. A general admission for the Saturday only events is just $20 for those guys that cant get off work to attend the whole event. There will be one seminar, and the vendors will still be there. Of course if you are registered for the entire event it includes the Saturday activities.
                        ron ginger

Comment

A few quick shots of the Workshop. Still a chance to stop by. More seminars tomorrow and the swap meet on Saturday. Those interested in a table for the swap meet can register at thecncworkshop.com.

George
                          Traverse City, MI

Comment

Working...
                          X