Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3Dsigns View Post
    Sweet

What RPM, bit, bit size, feed rate did you use?
    Don't know the RPM. It's a Craftsman Speed Controller and it isn't calibrated that way. That's why I had to trial and error it to get it to a reasonable speed. I use mostly 1/4" endmills and feed rate is whatever works off hand. This is in a hand held router, not a CNC outfit.
    Mark

Comment

Been there, done that.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Dsigns View Post
        Thanks!
        I got to thinking; I used to do sandblasted signs and there is a cooling unit, sandblasters put in series with their air supplies, called a "Vortex Tube". Has anyone tried one for cooling cutters on a router? This one seems to be adapted for that. http://www.directindustry.com/prod/n...88-354506.html
        They work but you will need a very large compressor to run them, they use a LOT of air. Probably 5-10hp worth.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
          They work but you will need a very large compressor to run them, they use a LOT of air. Probably 5-10hp worth.
          Thanks
          Mine is a 7.5 hp, 29 cfm. It used to keep up with a pressure pot sandblaster as long as the blast nozzle was no bigger than 3/16" or so. I will try a cold-side orifice of about 1/8" and see what that does.

Comment

To clean those cutters off get a bottle of straight sodium hydroxide from Ace hardware. Put them in a little water with the sodium hydroxide and the aluminum turns black and dissolves right off. Won't damage the cutter at all.

Comment

Thanks Gary!!

Comment

Now don't you all laugh -- Windex makes a pretty good coolant for aluminum. Evaporates to remove the heat, and flood action flows the chips out of the cut. Doesn't leave an oily mess either. Worth a try, YMMV.

Comment

Cool!! That's worth a try. Thanks Alchymist
                  BTW, the Sodium Hydroxide (lye) worked perfectly. I put a couple teaspoons in a little water, dropped the two bits in which had aluminum practically melted into them...no trace of aluminum. The lye dissolved all Thanks Gary

Comment

Working...
                  X