• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ironmonger
    replied
    Hi Nick

I have a C10 Break out board

http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/prod...products_id=45

The encoders are quadrature encoded glass scales. The Mach III stuff is on hold, as I have the Yuri bluetooth DRO to android project working. I have a number of projects that have eclipsed the Mach III dro stuff for a while.

Thanks

paul

Leave a comment:

• Magicniner
    replied
    Mach3 does not close the loop but "closing the loop" refers to using the encoder inputs for CNC control in real time, Mach3 can take encoder input and display it on DROs, you would need a Break Out Board and compatible encoders.

- Nick

Leave a comment:

• ironmonger
    replied
    Originally posted by w6br View Post
    You can fall off the floor, if you are upside-down!! :-)
    Actually, I'm waiting for the artificial gravity to malfunction... ;>)

DRO UPDATE I scored three NOS Acu-rite II scales, and they work with the the YURI dro bluetooth box. Got a few projects to finish before I mount one of the scales and test drive it.

FORMAT WARNING don't put a colon in front of a capitol letter d... it turns into a smiley.

paul
    WB9HCO

Leave a comment:

• w6br
    replied
    You can fall off the floor, if you are upside-down!! :-)

\
    Originally posted by ironmonger View Post
    Anyone have experience with Mach3 or it's variants and optical scales?

I would like to equip my lathe with 2 axis with eventual expansion to 5 axis or 6 axis eventually. I think Mach can handle 5 for sure, but does that require any adapter boards or a breakout board?

I haven’t found any standalone DRO readouts that support lathes very well over 2 axis. And this is a hobby for me, so $2000 answers aren’t as attractive as me spending my labor instead...

As far as the 3 axis mill controls are concerned I guess you could ignore all the extra mill functions, but I really want the extra axis instead of the functions anyhow.

paul

Leave a comment:

• electromech31
    replied
    If you look at Roger machine interface board that will interface a linear scale or encoder to Mach 3 so in the settings box you actually get a digital readout out. But its not a very large screen so you it would be kind of awkward the used as a DRO but there are people that would make you a DRO screen. I

Leave a comment:

• ironmonger
    replied
    Originally posted by burdickjp View Post
    I think this may also fit the bill: http://shumatech.com/web/
    Thanks for the link. I thought about the openDRO stuff and went to Shumatech and the Wildhorse web sites... seems to be a peeing match going on right now, and I didn't want my hardware trapped in the middle. The lower price options were not in stock. And to the best of my knowledge and poking about, I could not find a complete kit of parts at either place... seems they are both missing a sales opportunity...

That's about when macona pointed me to the MSP430 project. Even if the firmware never gets past where it is, the stuff is still usable. Besides, it was about one tenth the cost to try it out.

paul

Leave a comment:

• burdickjp
    replied
    I think this may also fit the bill: http://shumatech.com/web/

Leave a comment:

• ironmonger
    replied
    Well, I ordered a MSP430 launch pad board and a bluetooth dongle for Yuris app. Solves the problem of a touch screen monitor...
    I think that I am going to try the linuxcnc also.
    Now onto the scale scrounging.
    Thanks for the leads

paul

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Yuriy made a DRO that used an old android phone or tablet as a screen:

http://www.yuriystoys.com/p/android-dro.html

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    How about linuxcnc? Its free, will do 9 axis and would also give you a lot of other handy features (such as tool table and tool lengh offsets).
    It can even link to a remote display on a smartphone if you want. Support is nothing short of fantastic. It is realtime and closed loop.

Mach, in my opinion, has its days numbered. Mach3 is no longer supported mach4 has been in the promise stage for many years. Even tormach is switching from Mach to linuxcnc for their machines.

Leave a comment:

• ironmonger
    replied
    Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post
    Mach3 does not close the loop back to the PC?
    An older link but have you seen this for a DIY? http://www.lindsayengraving.com/othe...rests/dro.html
    In most cases you can eliminate the transistors and connect direct to the PP.
    Max.
    I have seen the DRO 4.0 stuff, and I downloaded those files going to look at them later.
    I don't have a thing against Linux. I use it on a couple of desktops now.
    I'm better at the electron pushing than I am at bit bending. the big part of a DRO is installing the scales and I can live with 3 axis right now. Eventually I'd like to add the compound angle and the compound travel. If I have to buy a breakout board I can do that. I can also build the interface for the parallel port.

Thanks for the links. I'll do some more poking around. I should probably buy a scale or two just to play with.

paul
    Last edited by ironmonger; 03-11-2015, 05:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MaxHeadRoom
    replied
    I have used the legacy DMC-1000 Galil cards in the past for back gauges and simple CNC, they would do the DRO with ease, and a little to spare!
    Max.

Leave a comment:

• DICKEYBIRD
    replied
    Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
    In comes the linux guy....
    Dang, it took you 2 full minutes!

That's pretty cool stuff you linked to. If I wasn't so old & feeble, you'd have me on the dark side in a heartbeat!

Leave a comment:

• skunkworks
    replied
    In comes the linux guy....

People have created linuxcnc based dro screens.. It might pull you over to the dark side...

http://www.wallacecompany.com/machin...uxCNC/gvcpDRO/
    and
    http://www.wallacecompany.com/machin.../EMC2/dro_vfd/

Reading maxheadrooms link sounds like it might not count consistently depending on the resolution. With linuxcnc being realtime you could calculate the highest count rate for a given setup. (and you could use inexpensive interface hardware that would count much faster... ie mhz.. )

sam

Leave a comment:

• DICKEYBIRD
    replied
    As Max said, Mach as supplied won't do anything with encoder inputs but can display readings via certain external motion controllers such as the SmoothStepper and the CSMIO/IP and a Mach custom screen. A lot of money for little gain unless you're planning a CNC upgrade soon.

"Hood" on the Mach forum has described recently how he uses a glass scale input through his CSMIO and displays it in a Mach screen for a precision tool length setter on his mills. But he's a genius.

The link Max provided looks like it'll do what you want but with 3 axes.

I'm sure one of the Linux gurus will be along shortly to show you how to do it for free with a paper clip and an old rubber band.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X