Pulse generator for stepper motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulse generator for stepper motor

Howdy. I am looking for a confirmed working simple stepper pulser / speed control module that I can wire up to a driver. I bought one of the grey digital readout units on eBay and it was dismal . The other style (2 buttons + knob) would be fine but a post in another forum said they are bugged and only work in one direction. The import units are all copies of each other and I can't tell if any one seller has a fixed version. I wish eBay had item reviews like Amazon!

I already have steppers on each axis and I want to have bi-directional powered lead screws for manual machining.

Thanks,

Ed
    Last edited by daGrouch; 06-15-2015, 06:24 AM.

Eddie "Thread Killer" daGrouch (YouTube channel)
    Smithy CB-1220 (Clark CL500M)

Sometimes ya gotta re-invent the wheel to learn how to make wheels.

What you could use is a standard Step/dir drive and use a directly connected PWG or hand wheel, which is essentially a 100p/rev encoder.
    They come up on ebay quite frequently, the advantage is they have the tactile graduated indents.
    Max.

Comment

I have those running through Mach3 and they are great for rapids with my 2mm pith screws but I find turning those smoothly for a good finish just as hard as turning the hand wheels smoothly.

The lathe has the typical 1 speed screw engagement for Z in one direction and I don't have change gears for it. I want to mimic that electrically in both directions on both axis' (axi?) so I am not running back and forth to the MDI.

In my mind I would have a speed control and 2 switches (On/OFF and Direction) for each axis for simple turning and facing. A multi-pole switch for flipping between CNC and pulsers would be added at the input of the drivers.

I am finding that I spend more time sitting at the computer playing with wizards or CAD'ing when I could have made 3 simple parts manually. Besides, my machine is not accurate enough to use CNC all the way so I have to stop and tweak too much.

Ed
      Last edited by daGrouch; 06-15-2015, 09:19 AM. Reason: formatting

Eddie "Thread Killer" daGrouch (YouTube channel)
      Smithy CB-1220 (Clark CL500M)

Sometimes ya gotta re-invent the wheel to learn how to make wheels.

Comment

You could just run an encoder though one of these chips, it outputs step/dir from the encoder input. Put a nice weighted handle on the encoder and something to give it a bit of drag to make it smooth.

http://www.usdigital.com/products/in...s/ics/LFLS7184

Comment

Originally posted by daGrouch View Post
          I am finding that I spend more time sitting at the computer playing with wizards or CAD'ing when I could have made 3 simple parts manually.
          True that Ed. You left off CAM'ing, post-processing and multiple screams of "Why the *&@$*# did it do that!"
          Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
            True that Ed. You left off CAM'ing, post-processing and multiple screams of "Why the *&@$*# did it do that!"
            Just enter code though MDI for simple stuff, I can send commands pretty quickly like that and it beats manual crank turning. Or just set the feed and use the arrow keys.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
              Just enter code though MDI for simple stuff, I can send commands pretty quickly like that and it beats manual crank turning. Or just set the feed and use the arrow keys.
              Yup, I do a lot of simple stuff that way and it works great. No rocket surgery needed. The head bashing comes when I have to do the little model airplane venturis with an internal elliptical curve and/or taper from both sides of the part that have to meet each other in the middle. Bore ID of .177" with a .160" carbide boring bar. Lotsa places for a tiny lapse in concentration to cause a crash. Not that that ever happened of course.

However, it is a miraculous thing to watch when it runs right and well worth the time spent....I think.
              Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

All that is needed to operate most stepper drivers is two signals, one for direction and the other is a stream of pulses that provide one step per pulse. There are many ways of doing this, both mechanical (switches) and electronic.

The most modern way would be with a PIC device like PICAXE or Arduino or Basic Stamp. These can be programed to provide those signals. Controls could be switches, thumbwheel switches, a pot, or a variety of other things.

Another electronic approach would be a pulse generating circuit using a timer chip like the 555 and a pot for speed control. A switch for directional control and perhaps a switch with a single pulse circuit for jogging.

Both of these approaches are dead simple and there is no reason why they should not operate properly and reliably.

Another approach would be a rotary encoder with a tachometer output. This would provide the pulses and a switch would be for the direction.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                X