Errata: "The Phoenix Coil Winder", Digital Machinist, Summer 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errata: "The Phoenix Coil Winder", Digital Machinist, Summer 2015

I got the Summer 2015 issue of Digital Machinist a few days ago and was immediately intrigued with "The Phoenix Coil Winder" article as I also have an interest in electronics. When the author, Gordon Dick, talked about the location of capacitors C3 and C4 I looked at the schematic diagram to see what their function was. They are filter capacitors on the output side of the power supply and the schematic shows them as non-polarized types, but at 100 uF. This seemed strange as there was a 25 uF filter capacitor which was a polarized, electrolytic just before them in the schematic (C2).

A quick check of the parts list (BoM) shows these capacitors (C3 and C4) as 100 nF ceramic style, not 100 uF. I believe the parts list description is correct and the schematic is in error.

Although it stood out to me immediately as a probable error, it could be confusing to someone with less experience in electronics.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Thanks for letting me know Paul. I'll contact the author and we'll get an errata into the next (fall) issue.
    George
    Traverse City, MI

Comment

After a little digging, I see that the author's original schematic did indeed match the bill of materials, with both C3 and C4 labeled as 100 nF. An error was made in key stroking the definitions in when rebuilding the schematic for inclusion in the magazine. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention. We'll get the correction into the next issue.
      George
      Traverse City, MI

Comment

You're welcome.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
        X