LinuxCNC or GibbsCam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LinuxCNC or GibbsCam?

Total newbie to CNC, but I bought an Enco 9X42 mill several years ago. It was in the process of being converted to cnc, ball screws partially installed and wrong (still had backlash). I finally managed to get them installed correctly, then get the "break out board" functioning properly. CNCmasters wanted $100/hr for support, because I wasn't the original purchaser. I think it's why the first and second owners gave up.

I don't know how to write G-code, my understanding is GibbsCam will write the code, if I do the drawing. Or should I just bite the bullet and learn to write G-code? If so, which version? The last one I down loaded was in 2013 to check the steppers etc for backlash.

thanks,
    Ken

Linux CNC is a controller, GibbsCam is a CAM program, totally different animals.
    Does it have the CNCMasters controller on it ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Yes, it has the controller. I had to reconfigure it, but the gecko drives control the steppers, for the X, Y, and Z axis.

Comment

I use LinuxCNC to control the hardware, Fusion 360 to design the parts and to create the toolpaths in gCode. What kind of computer are you using the drive the hardware?

Comment

The old computer that was operating linuxCNC died. A friend had some parts, so I now have a pentium quad processor 2.6 ghz with 4 gig of DDR2 that I am going to upgrade to 8gig. (Recommended for GibbsCam) I ran a latency test and had #'s below 10,000, so should be good to go for linux. I didn't actually stress the system so I guess I need to do that. It's been 2 years since I've had time to play with this so I've forgotten a lot of what I learned, especially the problems I had with the break out board and the work around I did with it. But it works, when I was testing the X, Y, and Z axis's it would step the correct distances.

So my understanding is use LinuxCNC as the controller, and either GibbsCam or manually write G-code.

thanks,
          Ken

Comment

I did quite a lot of manual G-code in my job, but don't much bother anymore since I got CamBam. Linux & Windows versions free use for 40 sessions, $149 to buy, fabulous user group, does basic Cad drawing so for many things I don't even use any of the 4 cad programs I own.

If you want to learn G-code that is still a good idea, and the fastest way to learn it is by reading the output from a Cam program for your own parts.

Comment

My 5 year old Tormach PCNC 1100 runs on Mach III within a Windows environment, and I use GibbsCam to both draw and generate Gcode.

The only thing I see wrong with GibbsCam is the price. I have been using it since about 1998, and with all the upgrades I have done, I now have right around $18,000.00 in it. BUT, I can do full 4 axis milling, turning, mill/turn and wire EDM.

Comment

Only if you have a milling machine, a lathe, a combined mill / turn and a wire EDM

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

custoncutter: I would recommend that if you are serious about this, that you learn G-code. It ain't rocket science if a bonehead like me could learn it from reading tapes back in the day when that is how NC (numerical control) machines got their instructions. At first it will seem a little daunting, but it will start to make sense. Good luck.

Sarge

Comment

If you choose LinuxCNC for your system, Consider the adaptor cards from MESA. the use of which will make the "latency" performance a moot issue.
                    Even a slow PC is much faster that step and direction signals can be executed. The MESA card takes care of many issues associated with timings

http://www.mesanet.com/

ETA

Learn Gcode, write simple routines and edit them,observing the results. Without such experience, tool paths ad program execution will remain a mystery to you.
                    Last edited by CalM; 04-21-2016, 10:20 AM.

Comment

When I bought my original seat of GibbsCam I paid around $5,000.00 for it. then as time went on, I bought a Fadal 3016 CNC machining center, then I bought a Haas with 4th axis, then I bought a CNC lathe, then I had to upgrade my GibbsCam again, now I have about $13,000.00 in it, then I got some work that required 5th axis and there went another $5,500.00. Then I had a heart attack in the shop and I decided I no longer needed the stress of ownership, so I sold the company and made a futile attempt at retirement. That lasted about 3 months before I bought my Tormach. My Tormach will do anything my Fadal or Haas would do, it just takes a little longer.The Fadal and the Haas each had 20 horsepower, but my Tormach has 1 1/2.

My Tormach is in my garage and I pretty much work when I want to. Hence the name Mid Day Machining. I seldom start before 11:00 AM,and I'm usually finished by 5:00 PM.

I spend Saturday getting ready to play on Sunday. I race gas powered remote control boats and trucks.
                      Last edited by Mid Day Machining; 07-25-2016, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X