3d printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d printer

Has anyone built and used the 3d printer in the last three issues of Digital Machinist? Or users of any other 3d printer?

I saw the original in operation and talked with the manufacturer last year at the CNC Workshop. It was the first 3D printer that I was genuinely impressed with. Would like to have one, but my plate is full at the moment.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

What are you going to print? I do quite a bit but I find it more cost and time affective to simply send my stuff to Shapeways. Excellant service and turn-a-round and absolutely no worries on my side about machine upkeep or material costs.
      I do all of my own 3D modeling so there is no cost there either.
      Makr

Comment

Have a link to this specific 3d printer?

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by burdickjp View Post
          Have a link to this specific 3d printer?

http://www.autotroph.com/
          George
          Traverse City, MI

Comment

Originally posted by astroracer View Post
            What are you going to print? I do quite a bit but I find it more cost and time affective to simply send my stuff to Shapeways. Excellant service and turn-a-round and absolutely no worries on my side about machine upkeep or material costs.
            I do all of my own 3D modeling so there is no cost there either.
            Makr
            Thanks, I hadn't heard about Shapeways before. I do plan on doing my initial trials with a 3d printer at the local library, where they charge 5 cents per minute of print time. Then will look at maybe buying another tool down the road a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by JimH View Post
              Thanks, I hadn't heard about Shapeways before. I do plan on doing my initial trials with a 3d printer at the local library, where they charge 5 cents per minute of print time. Then will look at maybe buying another tool down the road a bit.
              It's very likely you won't get acceptable dimensional accuracy and surface finish from a library. They have the tools, but most don't know how to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by burdickjp View Post
                It's very likely you won't get acceptable dimensional accuracy and surface finish from a library. They have the tools, but most don't know how to use them.

I agree, find the specs on that library printer. Resolution is key and I doubt it will be high enough to produce a high quality part.
                Shapeways has so many options available I doubt very much ANY desktop printer will touch their quality for the price.
                Just want you to know these cheap desktop printers are usually not worth the cost and effort. All of the post printing work needed to make a nice part is not worth it in my book.
                Here is some stuff I have had done.
                Console emblems for my wagon. These were done with the cheaper option. Still look great.

I also do a lot of model car stuff. These are some Pro Touring style tires and wheels I just did. The detail and accuracy cannot be had on a desktop.

I would suggest looking into Shapeways. They will quote your parts for free and they charge by volume, not time...
                Mark

Comment

Just an FYI. The Handyman Emblems I had printed are for the console I am building for my '56 Chevy Wagon. I finished painting them last night. I sprayed them with mist coats of satin black then used chrome and red nail polish to finish the lettering.

I let these sit and cure for a month or so, not that it was necessary... I was just working on the rest of the console.
                  Chrome nail polish...

I used the brush right out of the nail polish bottle. Worked better then I thought it would.

Both emblems painted.

Comment

Now to do the red. I used these little swabs. They are geared at model cars but will work perfect to fill in the WAGON letters.

Some bright red nail polish and the emblems are done.

These should look pretty nice on the sides of the console. Were they 3D printed? Can you tell?
                    Mark

Comment

Great looking emblems!! Thanks for the info. Going to the library for a print is just proof of concept for a part. As a man never has enough tools and I need something new to learn, a 3d printer is in my future plans.

What 3d modeling software do you use?

Edited to delete the question about what printer you used. Now that I've had my coffee, I noted you send out.
                      Last edited by JimH; 04-03-2016, 12:02 PM.

Comment

If you're considering buying this kit, you should upgrade the electronics to 32 bit. The 8 bit processors are just barely capable of running deltas.
                        Last edited by elf; 04-03-2016, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimH View Post
                          Great looking emblems!! Thanks for the info. Going to the library for a print is just proof of concept for a part. As a man never has enough tools and I need something new to learn, a 3d printer is in my future plans.

What 3d modeling software do you use?

Edited to delete the question about what printer you used. Now that I've had my coffee, I noted you send out.
                          Hi Jim, I am running an old version of UG. NX6. It may be old but it is still an excellent modeling tool.
                          Mark

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
                            If you're considering buying this kit, you should upgrade the electronics to 32 bit. The 8 bit processors can just barely capable of running deltas.
                            After much research, I don't believe this printer is for me. I want better resolution and precision. If it was just to dabble in 3d printing, it would be a good starter. Unfortunately that's going to cost me more. Right now the Ultimaker 2 plus iis my leading candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by astroracer View Post
                              Hi Jim, I am running an old version of UG. NX6. It may be old but it is still an excellent modeling tool.
                              Mark
                              Never heard of UG. I currently use Turbocad, but haven't done any 3d with it. I played with tinkercad (free but cloud based) and it modeled my first part fairly easily. More research to go on that too.

Comment

Working...
                              X