Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone ever retrofitted a bridgeport series 2 interact to mach3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All too true.

However they will appeal to the people who just want to run a machine.
    You spend 10K to buy a Fanuc controller and guess what, only one screen but for 10K no one moans.
    The more expensive ones do have tool changer built it.

Typical shot of the back.
    Axis , spindle, pendant, toolchanger, encoder and remote buttons.
    This will do 90% of common needs, in other words people who want to work with a machine instead of experiment, and this is going to get better.
    Mach and Linux will always be there for them.

Failure is an issue I must admit but if the machine is in production which I guess that's what the aim of these controllers are then £400 for a replacement is lumpy but time is also costly.

Ideally if a customer has retrofitted say 3 or 4 machines to one of these controllers than having a spare on the shelf is cheap insurance.

If we are talking hobby then there is an even cheaper version.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...285348986.html

At £110 UPK which is less than a decent breakout board.

We live in interesting times.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Dang that is cheap ! Perfect for a little tabletop router/lathe/mill.

Comment

A decent computer will do 50khz. some faster some slower. As sparky says - external hardware will to into the mhz. Something similar to smooth stepper is $89 and is flexible and expandable.

Yes - if you want to go faster you need to round the corners. How much?

Linuxcnc has an path following tolerance so it will never deviate from the programmed path by that amount. G64P.005 says go as fast as you can but don't deviate from programmed path by more than .005". You know exactly how the machine will follow that path - no guessing.

sam

Originally posted by Chipper323 View Post
        Yes i know Mach3 rounds corners the faster you go. Thats a problem but Its either that or slowdown and stop. But whats the max steprate of Linuxcnc.. i thought it was around 50K/sec ?
        Do you have a plot of Linuxcnc running flat out btw ?

( btw, i could care less if its " Free Free Free " thats nothing to do with why most people use a product. )

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
          smooth stepper is $89 and is flexible and expandable.

sam
          My two early versions were certainly expandable.

They got expanded into the dustbin thru falling over, earth loops etc and for a full year no support and told no earth loops.
          Then guess what they need to do version 2 because it has an earth loop.

Bit once, never, ever again.

In retrospect most of the hardware manufacturers have had £1,000's of pounds off me over the years and now I want something to work where am I ?

Sam,
          Not knocking Linux, as I say I see it as the last hope for hobby machines and small industrial users but something needs to be done as regards plug and play and GUI.
          Tormach have addressed this admirably but it's a bit wrapped up in intellectual rights.

There is a nice screen on the forum under other user interfaces by pietvr. Good place to start but even that looks to be bogged down with few getting it to load / work.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
            Something similar to smooth stepper is $89 and is flexible and expandable.
            sam
            John, Sam was not referring to the smoothstepper, he said "something similar". (he may have been talking about the mesa 5i25, don't know)

The question comes up often about using a smoothstepper with linuxcnc and the answer is no-can-do. The USB port is not realtime and thats the problem.

Supporting hardware in the linuxcnc world is plentiful and usually far cheaper than its Mach equivalents.

Comment

Yes - I was talking about

http://mesaus.com/index.php?route=pr...&product_id=63

sam

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                Feedhold had some weird behavior at the time on releases of the time, it would pause after a delay but on resuming it sometimes would rapid off in random directions, NOT GOOD !
                This was happening on my mill years ago. I never did get a good response as to why it was doing it. Its fine now, working stable.

I do have a kflop with IO board sitting here waiting to install.

http://dynomotion.com/KFLOP.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                  THAT is the definition of a open loop system ! The trajectory planner is part of the loop on a closed loop system. Mach3 is NOT capable of closed loop system, the software does not support it and never will. One of the reasons for this is that windows is NOT a real time operating system, and as such, no windows controller is capable of closed loop operation.

There are multiple loops in a servo cnc system, a velocity loop, positioning loop, and the loop to the trajectory planner. When the term closed loop controller is used, it is NOT referring to the position or velocity loop, it refers to the trajectory planner. The velocity and positioning loops for each axis are nothing more than simple PID loops, any servo system closes these loops or the motor would not function !

Mach4 isn't closed loop either, regardless of external boards, windows isn't a realtime operating system so its just not possible.
                  I've not been on here for a while, but I've just got to respond to this.
                  The TP can only very loosely be described as closed loop. All the TP does is produce a buffer of moves/positions/timings, which is then queued ready for the MC (Motion Controller). It's only the MC that needs to run closed loop, as it is the bit that has the ability to slow down/speed up how the queue is handled.
                  At most, the MC will tell the TP that it needs the next move(s).

If the TP doesn't buffer, then you are into single line mode with no look ahead, so even LinuxCNC has to buffer motion.

I no longer use Mach, however when I had my lathe setup with a KFlop+Kanalog+Mach3, I could disable the servo drives, spin the ballscrews, and the position would be updated in Mach 3. Re-enable them, and it would continue without losing position. I can still do that using KMotionCNC, it's just a bit more reliable at doing what you expect it to!
                  If I wanted to, I could also program the KFlop to handle FRO and SSO directly, which works because the KFlop buffers motion, and has control over how quickly that buffer is fed. It can also trigger that buffer being renewed.
                  But as has already been said in this thread, it's all very well having the ability to compensate for axis lag/spindle loading, but how do you practically use it?

Comment

Working...
                  X