Repeatability - Kwik 200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repeatability - Kwik 200

Those of you who use Kwik 200 (or other Kwik tool holders): How repeatable have you found the tool height to be?

I always just lowered the table on the KMB1, swapped the tool, and raised it to zero a tool height setter after a tool change. The last several months I've been using a Tormach with TTS tools and a power draw bar. I've gotten really spoiled after entering all the tools in the tool table. For a tool change I just swap the tool and press start. That's it. They repeat within a few tenths. Better actually than the machine itself. I recently purchased an ISO20 spindle for one of my high speed machines, and if it works out I'll purchase them for the others as well. I'm about to get the Hurco KMB1 back in service, and I was wondering (can't check at the moment) how repeatable the tool height was with Kwik 200 tool holders.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Those of you who use Kwik 200 (or other Kwik tool holders): How repeatable have you found the tool height to be?

I always just lowered the table on the KMB1, swapped the tool, and raised it to zero a tool height setter after a tool change. The last several months I've been using a Tormach with TTS tools and a power draw bar. I've gotten really spoiled after entering all the tools in the tool table. For a tool change I just swap the tool and press start. That's it. They repeat within a few tenths. Better actually than the machine itself. I recently purchased an ISO20 spindle for one of my high speed machines, and if it works out I'll purchase them for the others as well. I'm about to get the Hurco KMB1 back in service, and I was wondering (can't check at the moment) how repeatable the tool height was with Kwik 200 tool holders.
    I had a bridgeport with the kwik switch 200 spindle, they were extremely repeatable. Bridgeport shipped them on a lot of their factory cnc machines.

Comment

Does anyone know where I can find the Kwik-Switch tool holder dimensions?
      I've looked on the Universal Eng web site and can't find the tool holder dimension.
      I have a BP with a K/S spindle and need to get some more tool holders but I don't know if it's a 100 or 2000 spindle.
      I also need to find a place to purchase tool holders when I find out what size I need.

THANX RICH
      People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Originally posted by v860rich View Post
        Does anyone know where I can find the Kwik-Switch tool holder dimensions?
        I've looked on the Universal Eng web site and can't find the tool holder dimension.
        I have a BP with a K/S spindle and need to get some more tool holders but I don't know if it's a 100 or 2000 spindle.
        I also need to find a place to purchase tool holders when I find out what size I need.

THANX RICH
        Here you go http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/Tapers.html

Kwik Switch 200 was the most common on bridgeport series one machines. Good to verify it though.

Comment

I find tool holders on Ebay from time to time. 1/2" is pretty common. 3/8 is not uncommon. 1/4,5/16,3/16 are less common. You see 5/8 and 3/4 at reasonable prices from time to time. I've never seen an 1/8". The collet chuck spindles nose ones seem like a good idea, but the collets seem to be hard to find and those that come with collets always seem to have just odd sizes. For the smaller sizes I just buy 1/2" straight shank ER collet chucks and insert them in 1/2" Kwik 200 tool holders. Its not as rigid as the correct tool holder and its longer, but it works ok for light detail work. Tools N Gizmos does (did?) have an ER nose Kwik 200 tool holder, but its new at new prices of course. Collis makes Kwik tool holders at a premium price.
          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Sparky, thanks for the link, that's exactly what I need.
            I bought this series one BP several years ago. It came with a few KS tool holders and right after I bought it I found a few more on E bay for not too much money and bought them.
            Over the first few mos. after purchase I rebuilt the head, a rattily old variable speed job. I always wanted a BP and I found out my, way newer, Taiwanese mill was really as good as a used BP.
            Now several years later, with the BP being used mostly as a shelf, I think I'll sell the BP.
            A friend is interested in it and we are going to inventory the holders I have and see if there are many more he will need, so I first have to figure out if it is as I remember a KS 200.

THANX RICH
            People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Do you measure in the quill or off the machine with a height gage?

I measure the TTS with a height gage off the machine with the flange resting on a mini surface plate with a hole for the tool holder shank. (its not a taper) With Kwik 200 tooling I'm not sure that the ears/tabs would work as registration surfaces. I always thought the ears were just used to pull the tool holder into the taper.

Comment

Working...
              X