X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RB211
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Did you make those or is that something somebody is selling to swap out the frame of a Taig?

Found one Taig group on Facebook started by Rick Barnes. Looks like you MUST JOIN to see anything in the group. Is there another one?
    A group member makes them and sells them. He has about 50 out in the wild.
    This group...
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/524365887660604/

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    I have one of these new bases

All the information is on the Taig user group on Facebook.

Did you make those or is that something somebody is selling to swap out the frame of a Taig?

Found one Taig group on Facebook started by Rick Barnes. Looks like you MUST JOIN to see anything in the group. Is there another one?
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 05-14-2019, 06:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    I have one of these new bases

And waiting for one of these R8 spindles with pneumatic powerdraw bar, for use with Tormach TTS.

All the information is on the Taig user group on Facebook.

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Yeah, you can get brushless motors and controllers suitable for a spindle on aliexpress. You want something pretty high speed since you will be running small end mills with this setup. Heck, you could even get away with using some of the larger brushless motors intended for RC airplanes and cars. Little end mills hardly use any power, you just need speed.

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    Using a servo motor for the spindle is fairly common. Normally they use brushless DC servos for the spindle but no reason a brushed type wouln't work. On a brushed servo, the DC voltage applied determines the rpm. Motors have a spec for the volts per 1000 rpms and it is linear in response. Sometimes the servo has a rpm on its tag so you can determine the voltage required from that. 2500-3000 RPM is a very common speed for brushed servos but not written in concrete, there are other rpm versions out there.

Leave a comment:

• tyrone shewlaces
    started a topic New Taig toy mill upgrades

New Taig toy mill upgrades

I picked up a cool little Taig mill a few days ago.
    Can't leave well enough alone, right? So been preparing and collecting for a few upgrades. It already has a nice little IMService/Globe servo motor arrangement attached which seems to be working OK now that I replaced a faulty encoder - so yeah, it's moving around. I've decided this one will be based on Linux CNC for a change and probably better performance too. Mach is OK, but I don't love it.
    Anyway, I've been scouring the net for possibilities on a replacement spindle motor I can apply PC speed control. Nothing jumped out. Current motor is a basic single phase AC motor.
    Then I got to thinking about the huge pile of things I already have on shelves and boxes and realized that I have a decent sized DC motor with encoder which might do the trick in style! I picked up a Chinese counterfeit servo controller (DCS810) several years back which might run the thing.
    Does this seem like a feasible possibility? I've seen folks using pretty high-count encoders for spindles and it seems like this might be a pretty slick arrangement if it works. The Taig doesn't require much spindle power of course and the motor I dug up would appear to be close to the size and power of the existing motor I think. I don't have any documentation on the motor but I just got done hooking up some gear and reverse engineering the wiring. Haven't worked out the PPR yet, but the encoder is just a 2-wire/2-channel quadrature but that's pretty standard stuff so probably just perfect... if everything else works.
    I'm pretty new to all things servo though and it's common for me to be missing important parts of any given puzzle.
    Any advice is appreciated.

One thing I'm not sure of is the rated voltage for the motor. Is there a procedure I can work through to determine how high I can go with the voltage on it? It's just a brushed DC, though it does appear to have 4 brushes instead of just the 2 like I'm used to seeing (but still just 2 wires), in case that matters.
    Thanks.

Oh yeah, it also has a cool quick-change tooling arrangement which seems pretty neat. I don't know if the function is as good as the idea yet, but I guess I'll find that out soon.

Last edited by tyrone shewlaces; 03-23-2019, 07:09 PM.
Working...
X