Gun drilling titanium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun drilling titanium

I'm planning on making a lightweight axle out of titanium, roughly 11" long, 680" diameter. Just to be completely out of control, I figured I'd gun drill it.
    Any hints on drilling a .25" or .375 hole all the way through this stuff? I'm worried that as tough as it is to cut, the bit will want to wander all over.
    thanks,
    -Armen

pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is gun drilling?

i've seen the term before, but i've never known what it means.
    -paul

Comment

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles...le_barrels.htm

May not be much help but gives a slight thought of one thing to consider (( an untrue (in balance) work piece spinning itself out of round)).

It also brings a question to my mind;

if it could be done easily would it help to spin both the work piece (at a slower speed) AND the drill bit to help keep the bore straight?

I realise that it is "reamed" after it is drilled (for gun barrels) but would it help production for more "non-critical" long holes?

Just curious

Comment

Armen,
        even if your reaming or not, Id drill from both ends, that will save you alot of aggravation and will help the wandering problem.IMO
        jack

Comment

I have to say straight-out that I've never drilled Ti. HOWEVER, everything I've read tells me that you have to make sure you have sufficient feed to keep from work-hardening the surface. Just something to keep in mind...

Comment

save your self a headache and contract out the gun drilling, unless you have $25,000 for a dedicated gun drill, then you have to buy the drill, guide bushing, etc.
            good luck...jim
            ...jim

Comment

Working...
            X