Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan ...Unimat??

Hey Evan,
    Since it is so cold up there and you don't want to heat the shop, have you used the Unimat up at the house? I find when it is too cold to use my Craftsman in the garage I go down in the basement and use the Unimat for small stuff. Any new modifications to it?? Stay busy.
    Fred

Funny thing is that I was just wondering yesterday how Evan was making out with the Unimat.

I have never tried a small machine like the Unimat or Sherline. Very curious.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I had a unimat, I regret selling it. For tiny things they are great, bushing polishing-fitting.

I wanna cnc one to sharpen end mills with a dremel.
      Been shopping, not found the right one yet. I guess I could build one. I got the ideal how to swivel the head..

David

Comment

I last used the Unimat as a very handy special purpose grinder in milling configuration to make a thread milling cutter tool. I used the indexing attachment that I got with it to index the bit I made from O6 tool steel. It is a very nice little tool (the Unimat), not just a lathe but a very versatile machine the can be operated in your lap. It does need some "improvements" but they are easy and cheap to do.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

David...I hear you with the regret...I had one with a bunch of factory bells and whistles and got rid of it. Evan...I've been wondering if you ever look at the Unimats on Ebay? Man do some of them ever go high. You got a screamin deal on yours by the look of it.
          Russ
          I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Yep, I paid $200 CDN. I told the guy who sold it to me that he was selling it too cheap. He didn't care, it was what he paid for it 30 years ago. With a few simple reversible modifications it is an excellent small lathe. And milling machine. And all around small machine tool.

I see they go for around $600 and up. I have not only the machine but the original box, the original advertising poster, the manual, all the possible attachments, and it has no wear whatsoever. The original power cord is still good. It will take a 0.010 cut in brass without complaint using the tapered shims under the ways that I made.

All in all, a very fine example of machine tools.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I still have mine, and will not part with it, though I don't use it much now. The odd time I need to drill holes in something mounted in the larger lathe, and then I mount the Unimat headstock on either the crosslide with the special mount I made for that, or the bed, again with a specially made mounting post. I haven't yet found an angle I needed that I couldn't achieve, and my only complaint is that it's underpowered for some of the operations I could be doing with it.
              I have a Honda cylinder head that I've cleaned up and mounted the Unimat base to. I want to remount the base to the head with an aluminum plate between the two, which will give me an extended mounting point for a headstock alignment jig. I'll also cover all the holes in the top of the head, and it will be useful to mount accessories to. The head is full of tapped mounting holes, so with careful base alignment, those holes could also be used for other accessories. When I get around to doing this mod, I'll be replacing the original motor with a dc motor. The power supply I made for the 8x18 has a second output which is variable separately and will be perfect to drive this motor.
              Pictures when I get somewhere with this project.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
              X