2 fold Question 1= race removel, 2=where to post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 fold Question 1= race removel, 2=where to post

Bearings are off (as presented in the precious thread), now, how do I get the race off? haven't even tried, just wondering if there is a "magic" way. Don't forget I have the Hydraulic press now :-)

2nd Q: Is it best to post these questions (machine, bearing, milling, TIG welding, etc...) here or in Third Hand?

Thanks again guys (and gals)

You could make one of these....my idea dont know if its original (probably not)

ot one of these.....John Stevensons

all the best...mark

Comment

Picture? I'm not sure which race you are refering to. We used to take a torch with a rose bud tip and heat it very fast with the
      shaft protected. The rose bud tip would be about 6 or 7 inches from the race and you had to keep moving it quickly around the race about 10 or 12 seconds.A helper with asbestoes gloves on would take a test pull on it using both hands. It would come off the shaft easy if your timing was right.
      Don't let the shaft get hot, just the race.
      If you spend too much time in one spot you
      can blue the bearing and its ruined. If the
      heat sinks into the shaft you have to cool the whole thing down to normal temperature and start over again.I have done hundreds by this method.When I say about 10 seconds thats pretty close to the time it takes.
      Of course you can use mechanical pullers.
      I used to do this for a living and this is
      how it is done in the industry I was in.
      I built oil field equipment for National Supply in Torrance California.

Comment

Grind the race down almost all the way to the shaft then hit it with a hammer and chisel.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Sorry if I wasn't specific 9or that i wasn't). I am working on my lathe and have the races that are pressed into the headstock. This is where the Timken bearings spin when the Lathe n in opperation. I will post this to the Lathe group too, just looking for a general reply (not lathe specific). The grinding part sounds like a do. Once they are off, how do ya press em' back in....I got some research'n to do.

John

Comment

If you can see part of the bottom of the race you may be able to put a round steel plate behind it and bump the plate with a
            piece of heavy round stock and that should remove it. If that won't work could use freon on the race to shrink it or weld a bead on it with a stick welder and when the bead cools it should contract enough to pull it out.

Comment

weld a bead on the inside of the race.

after to cools you can pull it out by hand.

Comment

Is the weld idea based on the fact that the heat distorts the shap of the race, thus making it easier to pull out because the "perfect seal" has been broken?

John

Comment

The race actually becomes smaller.
                  You shoud be able to drive them out of the head stock, Be careful when heating or striking aroung cast iron.
                  Bob Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X