I guess it is the age old problem of putting 10 pounds of stuff in a 5
    pound box.

I would be interested in hearing of any suggestions (creative or
    otherwise) of how you find somewhere...anywhere to put the booty that
    we all find AND use.

Thanks

TMT

Any place that you have floor showing
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

My solution was to go vertical. Usually what people run out of first is floor space. I noticed that this space is often filled to a level of about 3-4 ft deep. (I checked a lot of basements and garages ) So, I thought the solution is to fill that empty space floating above all the stuff. I went out and bought a number of tall shelves and cases about 7' high, to put in my 9' high shop, and some wall mounted shelves. I then filled these until stuff touched the ceiling, and viola! an amazing amount of floor space reappeared!

The other thing to consider is minimizing walkway space. Also, pretending your shop is in a boat where every sqin counts really helps. I ended up with a layout that had two side walkways and two crossovers.

In a 400 sqft space I fit a lathe, drill press, grinder, band saw, 40 sqft foundry space with two furnaces, two lab tables with exhaust hoods, two work benches, a low table for electronics, a desk, a bookcase, a file cabinet, a sink, three cabinets and shelves, a rollaway toolbox, and a 3'x3'x8' special purpose machine, and about 20' of wall shelf over the benches.
      And it was all well organized. I could find anything in seconds.

Its amazing how much you can do with a small space if you think about it a bit and plan carefully.

Comment

Don't work in my case.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Two word solution. "Skid Racks" As canonicalman stated go vertical. I have 2 skid rack sections 19'long and 10'high. For solid shelving on these I used wooden machine crates. The bottoms (skid portion of the crate) about 1 1/4 thick wood. The sides and top were 3/4 thk. As I don't have a fork lift (yet), I have the liftable items on the shelving but the big stuff, gas engines, boat,jeeps, etc. still takes up the floor area.

Frank

Comment

Use a basement room that is unfinished. Have boxes sized to fit between the floor joists, supported by 1 x 2's underneath. Also ran self supporting 12" metal shelves around the perimeter about a foot below the ceiling. If you have a bunch of small stuff it can be grouped together on wires and hung on nails on the sides of floor joists up out of the way. You now still have most of the wall space available for tool boards or what ever.
            Made a wooden wall mounted rack that holds jars I have collected (similar in size to baby food) to hold fasteners. About sixty or so there all at eye level.

In my garage, the ceiling is unfinished, so 1 x 10" boards lay on the top of the joists, the length of the garage with about two feet in between. So, you have an aisleway and boxes on either side. Between the rafters, nail 1 x 2's across and slide the long light, flat stuff in there.

The key to finding stuff is to group like things together and label the box contents. Helps also to put some kind of a handle on those boxes for easier retreival.

If you have a workbench make use of the space underneath by building a slip in place cabinet with drawers. Have room in mine for banks of six drawers just over 4" deep, I think. One for nails, screws, brass fittings etc, etc. Keep the drawers shallow or they become an unorganized mess. Pill bottles and the bottoms of oil cans organize those drawers.

Again, 12" metal shelving goes around most of the perimeter just below the ceiling for more boxes.

Take a look at Roy Moungovan's book "Shop Savvy" ISBN 1-156-64040-X for even more storage innovations.

Comment

I went and got an old 10x50 house trailer, gutted it and built shelves but that is filling up too fast maby I should pass some of my junk along to the next dumpster diver, oh well maby there is a reason my kids say i am "a redneck"
              Matt in AK

Comment

I am at the point in life that I am considering putting some of it up for bid on E-Bay. The problem is I don't know where to start. I've bought but never sold on E-Bay is another problem.
                Living By the Square and On the Level

Comment

Rack'N'Stack

-3Ph

Comment

geezzzzzz,would the fire prevention crew love to educate you;D

------------------
                    Hans
                    Hans

Comment

DON'T PUT IT. Sell it, give it away or toss it. But don't store it unless you are really going to use it. I have moved everything I own on average about every 3 years. That really forces me to purge all the items I will never need or never get to.

My motto is the "more stuff you own, the more it owns you".

Comment

One small way I helped save space in my shop is to mount 2 bench grinders on one stand. The head of the stand is mounted on a bearing so it can rotate. I have a foot pedal that unlocks a latch that holds the head in position. If I want to use the grinder mounted on the backside I just step on the pedal and rotate the head, when it gets to the proper position I release the pedal and its locked. I have one with an 8 inch grinder on one side and a 6 inch on the other and one with a carbide grinder on each side. The next one I build I will try to put 3 bench grinders in a triangle pattern on it.
                        Mark
                        Mark Hockett

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cijuanni:
                          [B]DON'T PUT IT. Sell it, give it away or toss it.</font>
                          Are you serious??? That was a joke right? Hahaha! Sorry...I'm even worse now that steel prices have gone up so high. A couple months ago I went out to the country dump...laying right in plain view was 3 two foot long pieces of 3"OD x1" wall DOM tubing. I had just bought some...at $14 AN INCH!!! My floor looks like 3ph's! Gotta fix that though. You guys have some pretty good ideas. I really like the dual grinder setup on one post. I have one mounted on an old truck rim (that is filled with wheel weights) that could be changed over to a swivel setup. Another note...Our local steel dealer started selling shelving/lockers etc. He just got some lockers in that oer 7' high and about 20" wide and 20" deep(for $50). I'm thinking I'd better get a couple!
                          Russ

I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Geez Mark, just three grinders I like the idean and I might think about four. Hey how about a pic?
                            Jim
                            Jim

Comment

Geez Mark, just three grinders I like the idean and I might think about four. Hey how about a pic?
                              Jim
                              Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X