Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Future Cutter Grinder Maybe ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mark

That valve refacer looks familiar but my memory fails me, if that is the original paint colour I would suggest Van Norman or Sioux, but then I would have expected one of the American contingent to have recognised it by now. Wolf made a similar styled machine although the later models were blue faint memory suggests early Wolf was red.

I confess to having thrown away 2 Black & Decker valve refacers a few years ago, one I had completely rebuilt & had every accessory, the other was in very good order but as aquired, sadly they have little use with modern hardened valves, they are big & bloody heavy so they went to the scrap man

Somewhere amidst the cobwebs I may possibly have some operating manuals, I am sure I had Black & Decker, Wolf & Van Norman manuals as I have owned all 3 machines at various times & there was also a Sioux or Kwikway around at one point.

I will be moving a lot of stuff around next month between my "work" workshop & the new home workshop, during which I may well stumble across the manuals.

regards

Brian

[This message has been edited by pistonskirt (edited 01-30-2005).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pistonskirt:
      Mark

That valve refacer looks familiar but my memory fails me, if that is the original paint colour I would suggest Van Norman or Sioux, but then I would have expected one of the American contingent to have recognised it by now.

[This message has been edited by pistonskirt (edited 01-30-2005).]
      </font>
      We Americans freehand grind our valves on Harbor Frieght bench grinders

But seriously,this link has some tech manuals on valve facers,look toward the bottom of the page-

http://www.tpub.com/content/shopequipment/

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I like it Remember Alistairs post on the washing soda/battery charger rust removal? I think that parts of your grinder would be a good candidate for the process.

------------------
        Hoffman in Warner Robins Ga
        Techno-Anarchist

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by wierdscience:
          We Americans freehand grind our valves on Harbor Frieght bench grinders </font>
          *LMAO*

Comment

Thanks for the link Wierdscience.
            Brian ...thanks for the info ..yes I would be interested in your manuals .....
            not for the above ...as thats destined to be a tool and cutter grinder ......but for my other valve grinder pic below...which I have no intention of modifying.
            yes your right about the hardend valves.....all new engines and rebuilt engines these days have to have hardend valves.. because of unleaded fuel........does this mean the these machines are no-good anymore.
            by that I mean, no-good for all modern car engines and only fit for vintage 1930's morris eights......even the guys restoring these are putting hardend valves in them by now I will expect.

ALL THE BEST...MARK

[This message has been edited by aboard_epsilon (edited 01-30-2005).]

Comment

Alas you are correct Mark, these things have little use in their intended, & at one time fairly essential role, thats why I threw mine away. The machine in your pic is unfamiliar to me, looks rather Italian perhaps ?

All the valve refacers I have owned were very substantial lumps that would likely have lent themselves to being converted to tool & cutter grinders, some had dovetail slides for both X & Y axis, there were often pivoting attachments with micrometer adjustment for valve stem grinding & sliding fixtures for rocker arm grinding, much of which seem very similar to the movements of a tool & cutter grinder.

Hope to see how you progress with this project, it will be most interesting.

regards

Brian

Comment

Working...
              X