Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible Future Cutter Grinder Maybe ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Future Cutter Grinder Maybe ???

Picked up this valve grinder from the local scrap yard today.
    yes I know it looks awfull....I paid آ£8 for it ...thats the scrap weight
    but I see potential in it .
    notice it has both x and y travel
    all I need is a swiveling indexing head and a cone wheel and i have a basic cutter grinder.
    what do you think guys ?
    btw anyone know what make it is

all the best...mark

Looks like it might work for that just fine.

Comment

There should be a law against neglecting machines like that. They have feeling too you know.

With a little work, I think you can bring back to life as a good tool grinder.

Comment

On a separate issue, I wrote to one of the Forum about using a cheap DE grinder with a better wheeland an equally cheap two way vice as the basis of a T&C grinder.

The cost was perhaps آ£40 sterling.

There is one caveat! You can pick up a poor Clarkson for آ£150- or 225 US Dollars or Euros. in the UK. In days gone by, my T&C grinder was a modified key cutting machine.

Having written all this, adding paint stripper, abrasives and paints, you might not have quite the bargain that you suppose.

Returning to the question of tool holders,
        I made a lathe tool holder out of "wood".

However, the Quorn book by Dennis Chaddock has details of a spendid fancy tool holder which can be modified to suit a flat bed grinder.

Drop me an E-Mail if I can help.

Norman

Comment

well im only compairing them to these items that sold on ebay (below) in the last few days.....
          I've wanted a cutter grinder for ages and I will not pay these prices .....they are mental!!! .....this sort of price mentality happens for every cutter grinder (engraving) on ebay.
          There are the bigger machines like j&s cincinati, clarkeson.makino....a cincinati sold on ebay uk today for آ£250......but I'm running out of room and dont want the bulk of these machines.especially since they wont be used that much ...I could put the valve grinder on a table top ... you-see.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

all the best..mark

Comment

Mark
            Itlooks like it needs a bit of love and care your just the guy to get it looking like new.I would love to see it when your done with it as these things are often overpriced on ebay etc.Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Mark,

I'm running out of room also,that's why I decided to build a "Stent" It'll sit on a bench after I've moved something else.

Our Gert doesn't know about some of the things going in the spare bedroom yet.

Allan

Comment

Underneath that protective coating of rust is a beautifull machine. Cant be worse than buying castings for hunderds of pounds then having to machine them.

One of the grinders in your second post the Alexander is similar to the one I got from an auction mine is branded with "Kopenhaven"

its almost identical except singlr phase.
                It came with only one collet and was pretty neglected, spent a couple of hours tidying it up. I was a bit concerned about paying too much but NZ$250 thats only about 100 pounds so I feel a bit reassured.

Does anone have a manual to sell ?

Now Ive got one the mystery is figuring haw to use it properly.

Comment

looking forward to pics of the stent allan.....especially how you go about building the swivelling indexing head.....I dont know the stent......
                  is one of these is it:-

looks like quite a project.....cant wait .how far have you got with it.

My workshop could hold a lot more but I have to have an area clear to work on my car ect.
                  Alistair "overpriced" is an understatement..
                  all the best..mark

Comment

Stanko the manual for the Alexander /Deckel and now "Kopenhaven"
                    Is in the files section of my yahoo Taylor hobson engravers group.
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taylor_hobson_engravers/
                    in a file called "How to sharpen cutters"
                    its in about 10 pdf parts
                    you can go there join.....download it
                    or I could maybe send it to you via email
                    Let me know
                    Fine grinder you have there.
                    all the best..mark

Comment

Mark,

Yup that's the one,also has a pair of centres for grinding flutes.

I'll post some pics whan it's done.The tool holder's made and the spindle assembly is finished.I've put an ER25 collet chuck in the toolholder.
                      Just finished the dovetails on the base.All the drawings and castings are from "Blackgates".

Allan

Comment

Hey Mark, looks like you've got a great project for the rest of the winter. Looks like a sturdy little machine, I wish it were mine. Besure to show her to us when finished.
                        Smitty.... Ride Hard, Die Fast

Comment

Looks a lot bigger in real-life weighs somthing like 300lbs.
                          got a few more jobs to clear out of the way first.....plonking a br2j head on my bridgy.
                          it will have to wait a while.
                          all the best..mark

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aboard_epsilon:
                            Stanko the manual for the Alexander /Deckel and now "Kopenhaven"
                            Is in the files section of my yahoo Taylor hobson engravers group.
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/taylor_hobson_engravers/
                            in a file called "How to sharpen cutters"
                            its in about 10 pdf parts
                            you can go there join.....download it
                            or I could maybe send it to you via email
                            Let me know
                            Fine grinder you have there.
                            all the best..mark
                            </font>
                            Thanks Mark, I got it from the files section. It never fails to amaze me how much stuff is on the net just waiting to be used..
                            BTW is the manual that you posted the instructions for the taper tunring attachment for the S&B model A on the net ?
                            Thanks again
                            Mike

Comment

Those instructions where out of the S&B 1024 manual.
                              all the best..mark

Comment

Working...
                              X