Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some more christmas presents (just finnished)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some more christmas presents (just finnished)

Saw this little project in the HSM magazine. Thought they looked cool, so went nuts and made some. Made a couple of small changes. The parts listed as steel are now stainless. I counter bored the ram and put a screw on the end instead of the side to hold it on. Only had 5mm stainless for the handle so didn't do the bend.

parts ready for assembly

All finished.

John

Lovely work, John - what are they for? Crinkle cut chip presses?

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ian B:
      Lovely work, John - what are they for? Crinkle cut chip presses?

Ian
      </font>
      Hehe, sorry Ian I asumed people would know. They are nut crackers, thats why I said I went nuts.

The article was in the Nov/Dec 2004 HSM magazine by Rudy Kouhoupt.

[This message has been edited by zl1byz (edited 12-16-2004).]

Comment

Nice workmanship. Are they nut crackers أ‰أ‰أ‰H.

Comment

Ok so here's one doing it's job on a NZ grown walnut.

John.

Comment

Really Nice, what do you polish them with.?

Comment

John, they are really,really lovely but you shouldn't have , I couldn't possibly use all of them It would be best if you gave them to close friends and family instead, but thanks for the thought.
              Damn fine work!!
              Merry Christmas to you and your family John.
              Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 12-16-2004).]
              Ken.

Comment

Weldnfab, this was an unusual project for me. I usually deal with farm machinery type stuff, you know a quick wire brush and slap some paint on. The finish after machining was actually quite good but I used a small calico mop mounted on a hand drill and some polishing compound. It was time consuming and with the small mop a bit hard to get the polishing even but the results are satisfying.

Ken, yes Merry Chtistmas to you and your family. Best wishes for the new year, hope to see plenty of postings from you again next year and a few more b4 this year is out I'm sure. When I first saw the article I thought I could make one of those, but when i went to get the materials it wasn't worth just getting enough for one. So I got what seem'd resonable. I made the brass colums first, when I got to 12 I thought I had better move onto another part. So six it was.

John.

Comment

Nice work John.

Comment

John

Very nice - my nuts cringed at the sight of them!

Merry Christmas to all
                    Dave

Comment

Nice job,only watchout,if your friends are like some of mine you need a safty warning on the side,you know,eye protection,Not for use with dynamite,that kind of thing
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Like "Engage brain before putting your nuts in here"

Very nice work and pardon my ignorance but what is a mop? Den

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. It was a fun project, as I said bit different to what I usually do. Doing the pockets on the top bar amd the teeth on the ram were fun.

Dave! A bit of B&D eh, oh nasty hadn't thought of that.

wierdscience! Your not wrong, gave one a test drive last night with some different nuts and some of them bits of shell fly out like there was dynomite in there.

Den! Mop, a wheel made of cloth like calico. Usually mounted on what look like a bench grinder with cone type arbors on the shaft so the mops can be redily changed for different polishing compounds etc. I just used a small one mounted on a arbor on an electric drill. This was my first atempt at using these so I only had one mop and one polish but they come in different grades & types.

John.

Comment

They are Really Beautifull, I just had to show them to my wife..Merry Christmas...

Comment

Very nice workmanship. Im impressed. Hey guys if our wives get hold of one of these nut crackers we could be in big trouble. LOL I think kids should make something that suits the individual. For the smoker kid a nice water pipe or regular type, Perhaps a fishing reel for the kid who likes fishing. For the mini motorhead a simple air operated engine. Lots of things but the secret is to get each kid to make something he can use and would like. Also if they make all differant stuff the amount of learning shared could be beneficial to all due to the differant machining teqniques required.

Comment

Working...
                              X