Help! I need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! I need some advice

Guys I need your advice. There are two items on Ebay that have caught my eye. They are surplus items sold by the state of Oregon and are located less than a hundred miles away, so I could easily pick them up (no Shipping) is the saw a usable item? And what about the mill? Is it worth any thing? The Items are: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...353702637&rd=1
    And
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...869673677&rd=1
    Need you input. Thanks,Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Mel,

Assume you'll have to throw some money into them, and bid accordingly. As with all used equipment, you take your chances. You may luck out & get away with a motor or 2 or you could be faced with a major rebuild.

The other thing to ask yourself, do they meet your needs? The saw may be too big and the mill too small.

You're close enough to inspect before bidding. If your budget permits you to outbid all comers, it will be worth your while to make the trip.

Ed

PS I love the mill! Just hope that you haven't attracted potential bidders by your posting.
    Ed Pacenka

Comment

Mel,

I disagree that the saw is too big.

Buy the biggest saw you can. I bought one the size of the HF 4x6 (used Emerson) and wish I had bigger. I consistently find myself flipping stuff and cutting on the other side.

It's one thing to have to upgrade mills, lathes, etc later...they have pretty good resale. I just dont see the same resale in the saw dept...and dont seem to run across them that often.

-Jacob

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by snowman:
        Mel,

I disagree that the saw is too big.

Buy the biggest saw you can. I bought one the size of the HF 4x6 (used Emerson) and wish I had bigger. I consistently find myself flipping stuff and cutting on the other side.

It's one thing to have to upgrade mills, lathes, etc later...they have pretty good resale. I just dont see the same resale in the saw dept...and dont seem to run across them that often.

-Jacob
        </font>
        My statement was not that "The saw was too big" My question was “do they meet your needs?â€‌

The suggestion was that Mel should ask himself if it was "Too big" for his needs. If his intent is to make candles stick holders for his daughter's doll house and that alone, then he needs to decide if the saw is well suited for the task. Conversely, If he intends to cut full length keyways in 6 foot long shafts with the mill he needs to ask himself if the mill is too small.

Ed
        Ed Pacenka

Comment

Thanks for the input! I guess what I should have ask is: What is the mills use intended for. What kind of milling can be done on that kind of mill?
          thanks, Mel

Oregon Coast

Comment

That little mill...I want it too...I want all the little horizontal mills! When I have them all...I will pick the best one and put it in the bedroom on my wifes makeup table.
            Russ
            I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by torker:
              That little mill...I want it too...I want all the little horizontal mills! When I have them all...I will pick the best one and put it in the bedroom on my wifes makeup table.
              Russ
              </font>

Just tell her it's an eyebrow pencil sharpener, hopefully she'll never know & reward you for it, or better yet cut some keyways for you!
              Ed
              Ed Pacenka

Comment

Looks like a nice little mill that will need some work. But at the price it's hard to beat IMO. Being a horizontal it will have limited use but for what it can do and if you have to time/money/room for it I'd go for it. If you're planning on using it for a money job then keep looking as this will chew up lots of time and effort to make it right again. A horizontal can be great for squaring plate work or slotting but for all the times I've wanted one at home a smaller machine would be preferable to a larger one.

Comment

Hey Russ, let's go down and pick up that mill. Then we can flip for it
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. After some research, I don't think I have the space required for either machine. I'm going to pass. Thanks again
                    Mel

Oregon Coast

Comment

Lugnut...Could you please pick that lil' mill up and drive up to BC so me and Evan can flip for it? We'd sure appreciate it
                      Russ
                      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Russ, it’s only a 660 mile trip down to Salem. You and Even could slip down in a days drive, Thaw out for a day or so and head back with the mill as a trophy!

Oregon Coast

Comment

My information says it 362.2 Miles from Vancouver. Driving time 6 hours and 3 minutes.
                          Then again if you live on the Island you have to add many hours and tim eto barf up the ferry food.

Comment

Mel,

how can you say you don't have space for that little cutie?

if i lived close enough to pick it up i'd bid on it myself.

andy b.
                            The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

MINE!!!! (I hope)

Comment

Working...
                              X