Lifting dm-45 mill drill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting dm-45 mill drill

Hey guys, I just bought a mill drill. It is a geared head, dovetail column style. It weighs about 700 pounds. Can any of you give me some suggestions on how to go about rigging and lifting it up on the mill stand. I thought about a cherry picker but I am not sure if it will raise high enough to clear the stand and I am still unsure where to place the lifting straps. Thanks in advance for the info.
    Jonathan P.

That's how I lifted mine...with an engine hoist. Wrapped a 2000# rated nylon sling around it. Had to set the boom fairly low to get it high enough. Was really exciting when something let go in the new hoist and the thing dropped almost to the floor! your should be easy to rig, it doesn't have the big belt/pulley cover that mine has. That was a pain...had to pack blankets, etc. in the gaps so it wouldn't dent the cover. with the exception of the hoist problem it did go well though. Good Luck!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Lifted the Dad-in-law's old enco of similar weight with a strap around it, using a lever chain hoist. We had a 10" i beam right overhead with a trolley on it, so that was easy.

The motor lift should be fine, if you have the lift height, as the wussiest of them is rated a ton, and that is almost a 3 to 1 de-rating vs 700 lb. You might be able to use the longest lift setting.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Ask weirdscience!

I used a prusik around the colum on mine but you need to know how to tie that knot to be safe and have a backup in case it slips. Sorry if this seems vague but if you don't know what I'm describing them find another way. If you do then go ahead but be careful.

YMMV

Dave

Comment

hi,japcas.i have a 7045FG model,which i think is the local(nz) equivalent of your mill.i used an engine lift to put it on it's stand.wind the head all the way down to minimize instability.(ask me how i know this ).take it slowly,and think safety.it helps if you have 1 or 2 buddies to help.good luck with your new toy,i'm quite happy with mine.

------------------
          Hans
          Hans

Comment

I took mine apart and hoisted the base, column, table, and head as separate items.

I planned to disassemble it anyway to clean/deburr/lube the moving parts, so it wasn't any extra work in my case.

Comment

can you post a pick? im looking to buying a mill/dril with dovetail, ive heard of rf-45 but not dm-45, can you please give a pick, or who sells it? Thanks

Comment

Elnino,

I think they are all a clone of the RF 45. Mine is a ZX7045.

------------------
                Paul in NE Ohio
                Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

I used a cherry picker with a 20k capacity strap around the joint between the head and column. I actually have pics of the move if you want to see them.
                  Take it slow and think about every move you make.

Dan

Comment

milldrilllift.jpg

Comment

sorry, I don't have the photo posting thing working....
                      can anyone give me a hint?

Thanks,
                      Dan

Comment

Engine lift, set up correctly, has enough
                        lift to handle the height and weight. Useful
                        accessories are nylon lifting straps/slings
                        specifically made for this purpose. 3-4
                        of these, one endless,about 4' circumference
                        and 2 each 4' long with loops in each end and one 6' long will go a long way toward
                        handling lift rigging. A few hooks, a length
                        of 5/16 or 3/8" chain with hooks on each end
                        some clevis pins or heavy duty lifting carabiners and a quality comealong will solve many problems. About $60 worth of lifting stuff and a comealong. MSC, Travers, Enco, J&L all have these in their
                        catalogs but local sources in yellow pages under slings and straps or rigging may be available. If the overhead joists are 1x10 or 1x12 you can drill a 1.125 or 1.25 hole in the CENTER of the joist, thread a strap
                        through the hole and hang a pulley off the
                        strap and use a come along to lift. Not good to do this in the middle of a 16' span with
                        a 1x10 but near the wall is fine if supported by block or concrete, but if on a joist hanger, not a good idea.

DanF: look in the forum under NETWORKING
                        for Evan's post on picture posting.
                        Steve

[This message has been edited by sch (edited 12-16-2004).]
                        Steve

Comment

If you have limited lift as from an engine lift, lower the machine's head all the way to the table and turn it sideways if you can. Keep the rigging short. If you have to run out more boom be obsessively careful to keep the engine lift's wheels out ahead of the boom.

When maneuverung the lift becareful not to get the suspended load swinging. Got a fat relative? Stand him on the pump end of the lift and keep hime there until the lift with all maneuvering is complete.

By the way, most engine lift casters are miserable cheap things. Replace them with quality phenolic casters if you use the lift much in your shop.

Comment

Hi Dan,

I would like to see the pictures of you moving your mill/drill. I am especially interested in exactly how and where you attached the lifting strap. Thanks

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by danf:
                            I used a cherry picker with a 20k capacity strap around the joint between the head and column. I actually have pics of the move if you want to see them.
                            Take it slow and think about every move you make.

Dan
                            </font>

Comment

Whimps! Just pick the damn thing off the floor and put it on the stand - ain't that heavy...

Okay you can be a candy ass and use two or three guys if you want - or use an engine hoist like Russ (a girlie man from way back)

Comment

Working...
                              X