NEW COMBO TOOL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW COMBO TOOL

I THOUGHT OF THIS when I was thinking of buying another tool holder, no need to buy it now.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../COMBOTOOL.jpg

pretty clever, is in lined up?

Comment

Excellent idea. I'll have to do that myself.

Comment

Damn clever I gotta do that.

------------------
        Paul G.
        Paul G.

Comment

As for it being lined up It is close enough to cut well on all the mat. I have cut so far.

As for it being clever, thanx. As I said it just came to me.

Comment

A word of CAUTION with tooling hanging out over the handwheel for the cross-slide, it 'bloody well hurts' when you get your hand or parts there-of caught in the tooltip.

Comment

I saw an Aloris style A series tool holder on ebay last weak that had a follower rest built right into the holder
              Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spin Doctor:
                I saw an Aloris style A series tool holder on ebay last weak that had a follower rest built right into the holder</font>
                Now there's an idea. Thanks.

I like Wolf's too. Neat. Wish I could weld.

Paul A.

Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Send me the pieces i'll weld 'em up for you.
                  let me know.
                  BETTER yet drive over and I'll buy you a cup of coffee

[This message has been edited by IOWOLF (edited 02-04-2005).]

Comment

Good idea, Jay. Nice weld too.

Comment

I am a little disapoointed in you for not cutting a groove and tapping holes for hold down bolts in the holder to clamp a toolholder as you have done. This would have allowed you to change the tools as required and look spiffy at the same time.

Although the unit is usable, you could have had a better tool by taking the extra time to do it properly. A good idea could have been a brilliant idea...

Great idea - bad execution.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrud:
                        I am a little disapoointed in you for not cutting a groove and tapping holes for hold down bolts in the holder to clamp a toolholder as you have done.</font>
                        When the only tool you have is a hammer, all problems begin to look like a nail.

Keep in mind the boring bar holder has the two lock/pinch bolts, which reduces the usable wall thickness there to what looks like about 1/4" or perhaps 3/8". That's too thin for a proper tool groove and sufficient jam screws.

A shallow slot and some straight bolts (pointing towards the post through the add-on bar) might have been more in line with the "machinist" mindset, but really, unless you have somebody looking over your shoulder and critiquing your handiwork, a quick pass with a MIG or stick weld dit just as well.

I've got a whole shopful of rough, ugly, tools cobbled from rusty iron from the scrap pile out back. As long as they work, I tend to prefer impressing people with my work, not may tools.

Doc.
                        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

I agree, I wasnt aware It was a contest or that I would be graded on my project.I did it out of necessity for MY needs and It works for MY needs.

Oh and If you don't approve of the way I did it, Do It better yourself, Market them, sell them on ebay or whatever.

Comment

Doc,
                            Thanks for the line:

When the only tool you have is a hammer, all problems begin to look like a nail.

I hadn't heard it before and think it explains why some of us working for ill equipped companies work as we do!! I'm sure it will be quoted many times in the coming weeks.

I like the metal glue idea too. For those of us still tooling up to have fun this is to save time and keep focus when just trying to finish a project. When I'm in the middle of a project I hate getting sidetracked on anything. This is a quick answer!

Ray........

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                            X