$5 threading dial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $5 threading dial

Got it almost done...it works fine. Cost about $5 (shhh...don't count my time!) Here's the parts

Didn't like the 6061 alu gear setup so I made a new gear out of 660 bronze. Changed my mind a couple of times hence the threaded top disk. Got a cool ball oiler thanks to Mike Burdick's idea! Also have to thank Mike for his print he sent me of the one he made! And thanks to all the guys who helped me with the gear setup...it's getting easier. This one took about 45 minutes from the time the blank came off the saw.

Got a brutal migrain...catch ya later...after the drugs kick in.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Nice work Russ ! Looks like an heirloom. Hope that lathe is as pretty Den

Comment

Nice work, I don't see any provision for adjusting the wheel to "0" though.

Comment

Excellent job!
        To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cliff69:
          Nice work, I don't see any provision for adjusting the wheel to "0" though.</font>

The set screw on the gear.
          To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Cliff
            you don't need to "adjust it" - it is a threading dial - you engage the halfnuts at the appropriate mark and all is well.

What appropriate mark you say? Buy Martin Cleeve's "Screwcutting on the lathe" book for basic instructions on use - like which marks to use and when. Eventually, you will be able to use it to do multiple start threads.

That or have a machinist friend instruct you on screw cutting procedures - it is easier to learn from an old hand than on your own.

Comment

I see, the set screw....My dial has a nut on the top that allows you to match the dial to the half nuts. And I can cut threads just fine thank you ;-)

[This message has been edited by cliff69 (edited 02-01-2005).]

Comment

That's a Master piece.
                Nice work...

Comment

Thanks guys! Was a fun project...well except for the mystery metal I used for the body. Had to anneal it to cut it then it cut sort of like bronze...lot of little chips. Finding the right size of little ball for the oiler took a while til I remembered there was a few in my Holley rebuild kits. Cliff...all you do is barely tighten the setscrew, as soon as you engage the half nuts the dial stops spinning. Shut off the lathe, pull the dial away, spin the top where you want it and tighten up the screw.
                  Russ

Comment

That looks nice Russ. Wanna make me one? BTW, why is everything yellow?
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Excellent work Russ! Now you can go into production and sell them on ebay. Make a fortune.

Comment

Evan...Yup...I'll make you one, but how bout we trade? For...oh..say a little horizontal mill!!! The yellow thing @#&%@#...this camera. It drives me nuts. If you use the flash on something polished the reflective glare is so bad you can't see anything. If you take pics with ordinary lighting it turns out yellowish. I have a decent old Pentax 35mm SLR that takes really good pics. Has all the filters etc and never does this. This thing is far more complex and I haven't got it figured out yet. Should take a few minutes to read the manual and at least set the date right!
                        Russ

Comment

You’re getting awfully good at all of this machining stuff Russ.

Comment

Nice. Well Made.

Comment

Torker...

I don't know if you post process your pics,but fiddling with the white balance might help remove the yellow cast,also a piece of white tissue held in front of the flash helps to diffuse it for taking pics of shiny things.

Allan

Comment

Working...
                              X