Shop hoists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop hoists

Even though we are all quite capable of lifting a 200 lbf engine off the ground with one hand, still there comes a time when a bit of assistance is nice. If you've got a friend who works for a hospital, nursing home, medical rental place or the like have them watch for a deal on an "invalid hoist" for your garage. Invalid hoists are for lifting patients out of or into beds, cars, wheelchairs, off the ground, etc.

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/metalwork/hoist1.jpg

http://www.eurospares.com/graphics/metalwork/hoist2.jpg

That's the CNC cabinet from my Tree mill, which is made of .080" steel sheet, and while not hugely heavy it sure is bulky and awkward.

This is a Hoyer brand, and they seem to be one of the major players in the market. This has a 450 lbf rating and the mast separates from the base so it can fit into a trunk or be stowed out of the way. The end of the boom moves about 40".

This is lighter and more compact than an automotive engine hoist and I'm expecting it to make putting the 10 and 12" chucks on my Mori Seiki lathe a much easier task than doing it by hand. When I get a CNC rotary table (120-150 lbf) that too should be a doddle to load and unload from the mill.

I paid US$125 which seems quite the bargain to me as I can't imagine my making one for that much if I counted time and materials in the cost. I think new ones are up in the $800 range.

You do of course still need enough clear floor space to roll the hoist around, which is always a problem in my shop.

cheers,
    Michael

that is a good idea since my 4 jaw chuck is under a ton I guess the engine hoist is a little over kill

Matt in AK
    Matt in AK

Comment

This lifting gantry devivce I've built over the last few days .......I've built it to enable disasembly of my Bridgeport and to take the raiser block on and off without too much hassle.

Hefty wall bracket bolted with one inch dimeter bolts....thru 14 inches of concrete block with spreaders on the other side of the wall

Bracket runs on four roller bearings ,the pin is one inch dimeter

view from over the top of my Bridgeport

all the best..mark

Comment

when you build a hoist you dont mess around

Mat in AK
        Matt in AK

Comment

Michael, you are sure right about them! I have one also, but mine is only rated at 400 lbs. As you say, they are light and compact and have the advantage of being broken down easily and moved. They are also very handy if you have to lift something heavy in the house, such as setting a 35" TV on a dedicated stand. An engine hoist is too large and awkward for some of the jobs these units shine at. BTW I have just C$35 invested in mine.

Comment

Hi Michael,
            Do the front wheels swivel like the rear ones? I hired an engine hoist once to install my lathe and only the rear wheels swivelled. Had to drag the front around sideways with ropes with my new lathe swaying in the breeze. Scary.

Michael Ryan
            Australia
            Michael

Australia

Comment

Yes, full swivel casters all the way around. I may mount the front wheels on the side if I need more clearance for them to slide under the lathe. I haven't yet cleared enough space in front of the lathe to where I can check that.

cheers,
              Michael

Comment

Great idea, thanks.

Paul A.
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Michael,like reading your posts,always somthing interesting.We have a regular engine crane,but how I got the wifey to buy it for me is the best part.Now mind you,this is as a "win/win" as it gets.........we needed to hang some drywall here at the chalet,and because of this or that reason I lost access to a real drywall crane.So the idea of an engine crane was sold to wifey.Simply welded up a swiveling adj. head for said crane(reaches 10').....installed drywall which was very much appreciated by the betterhalf.I'm happy for its obvious uses.

Oh yeah and another redneck tech thing we do is utilizing Safeway scaffolding as a "takedown" gantry.Throw a 6x6 on top of whatever hiegth buck/bucks,leaving bracing(which dosen't have to be a 4' brace on a 4' buck,can widen stance by using braces meant for 6' bucks)off where necesary.Using whatever pulling device on hand.Best,BW.

Comment

aboard_epsilon, are you getting all your support for the rectanglar tube on one end only? Hummm

My Hoyer from the "other" place Michael posted.
                    http://www.chaski-test.com/pictures/...nt%20mover.jpg

Yes they are very handy. I saw a listing in the newspaper Hoyer Lift 20 or 25 dollars in early 80's. I repainted it and made a sling that readly attaches to my 3HP unisaw (about any of tools in my wood shop, the unisaw is the heaviest), the hydraulic cylinder and pump worked great when I got it. I can adjust the footprint some on it (legs spread) but in the parallel setting it stradles most everything I want to move with it.

Arcane, you didn't really think that the 35$ number was going to hold up did you:-)

Comment

No ........sorry should have mentioned .....the rectangular tube has the other end suported on a substantial "I" BEAM.....that runs the length of my workshop.
                      the tube/box section is only about 12 feet long...its just a helping hand really.
                      all the best...mark

Comment

Steve, I regularly check Chaski, HSM, and PM but I don't know how much crossover in readership there is so I figured I'd post it on all three.

An overhead crane system would be the way to go, but until that unlikely occurance happens I'm pretty chuffed to have this Hoyer lift.

cheers,
                        Michael

Comment

Working...
                        X