KBC Canada service ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KBC Canada service ???

Just wondering what kind of luck the rest of you Canadians are having with their service? I've found them to be the absolute worst out of anyone I deal with. The last three times I've ordered I asked them NOT to send by UPS (they are very hard to track down and I have to take an hour or more off work to meet them)...sure enough, they ship via UPS after they agreed to ship by mail. Last order, they said everything was in stock. The order never showed up. I finally got tired of waiting, phoned them up and was told that indeed my order had JUST been sent...a week late....to a different business in a town 600 miles away...oh yes and only half the order because they where out of stock with the rest (after they said all was IN stock). Perfect...I had to tell a customer that I couldn't do a $450 job because they never sent the things I needed. Now it seems that when one of the back ordered items shows up in their warehouse, they send it to me via UPS. Last was a $6 trinket that I'm sure will cost me $15 or $20 shipping. It's too bad because for us in Western Canada they have most of what we want at a reasonable price. Now I know why I was warned about dealing with them from the last shop I worked for. They quit dealing with them altogether. Are they any better back East? Thanks.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

The last time I ordered from them I ordered a set of 1/8" number punches. They sent me a set of alphabet punches instead. I called them and arranged to have them send me the set of number punches and I agreed to buy both sets. They agreed to subtract the cost of shipping that they would incur if I sent the alpha punches back collect. I got the number punches in due time but a month later I received an invoice marked "overdue". I had authorized them to bill my card but they didn't do so. I'm not too impressed.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I don’t think they charge for shipping back orders, or orders, which are shipped from Toronto, in the event that it is not in stock in BC.
      I have dealt with them for a good number of years and can’t complain about their service all that much.

Comment

Travers is much better to Newfoundland.
        I get the FULL order every time in 3 days and that's from New york!!!
        eddie
        ps Just a happy customer
        please visit my webpage:
        http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Well I'm not Canadian,but we do order a lot from KBC,something on the order of $2000 every month or so in Taps,dies,drills you name it.

All I can say is,don't feel like the Lone Ranger,EVERY order is screwed up.Boxes torn open,items lost,over counts,under counts,wrong items backorders and the list goes on.Last week we ordered 26 5/8 S&D drills and 2 -5/8 double endmills,what did we get? 28 5/8" endmills and 2 drill bits.

We knocked the b/o problem in the head,we tell them and print it on the order "cancel all back orders" we order open account with them,the only real reason we put up with them is they do give us a 15-20% resale discount.

I did tell them to leave the crack pipe at home when they filled my order once
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I've not had any problem with the KBC Toronto location. Most of the time I drive in to get my stuff over the counter. When items are back ordered I get them within a week, usually less. The UPS guy just drops the stuff off at my place. I've never gotten a shipped order messed up, and as far as I can tell, KBC does not charge for shipping back orders.

As for Travers, I don't like the fact that I have to order $100 minimum. That means I sometimes have to buy more stuff than I want if I need just some small item ASAP. KBC's minimum is $25. Plus I don't like how Travers continue to advertise Kasenit in their Canadian sale flyer, but they refuse to ship it to me. They've been advertising the stuff over the span of 3 or 4 flyers now, but they won't sell me any. Yes, I know they have this thing about shipping chemicals across border, but they said the same thing about Mobil Vactra oil and they shipped that to me. Seems the folks at the Montreal office don't know if they're coming or going - especially the female order taker (don't know her name), who I found to be particularly rude and clueless.

Given the choice I prefer KBC. They're cheaper than Travers on the same items.

Comment

I have been to the KBC in Toronto, but I don't order from them when I am in Canada, I order from Travers. Short shipping time, good prices. In the states a different story, KBC, order by 4 and get it the next day.

Jerry

Comment

When I am home in Valleyfield, I do get stuff from Traverse in Montreal, You are right about the lady, she is rude. But I can go get my order if I need to.

Jerry

Comment

jmh
                  "They're cheaper than Travers on the same items"
                  Travers prices include the HST and all shipping costs. ie What you see is what you pay.

"I don't like the fact that I have to order $100 minimum"
                  Not fussy on this either, but it does not take long to get a $100.00 worth in a machine shop.2-3 good end mills!!

"Seems the folks at the Montreal office don't know if they're coming or going - especially the female order taker (don't know her name), who I found to be particularly rude and clueless."

I only deal with New York and I find them to be excellent in every way.

"Given the choice I prefer KBC. They're cheaper than Travers on the same items."

When you factor in freight and the time it takes to get to Newfoundland,Travers prices are better.I can not get the same package from T.O. in 3 days unless I pay AIR Freight.
                  please visit my webpage:
                  http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Russ
                    I buy locally if possible - a lot of times I can get a better deal from Thomas Skinner & Sons or the others just by "razzing their ass a little about the fact the bastards are even more expensive than the jerks at KBC" (even when they are not) - I always get price breaks and they usually have the stuff in stock. Skinner treats me very well.

Edmonton Nut & bolt has the best metric & inch selection and they do carry W1 and some O1 but not in all sizes (cheap too).

Westool Production Supply carries some O1 and W1 and some HSS stock as well as cutting tools and most metalworking supplies.

Kennametal, DoAll, United Tool Supply, Precision Tool Supply, Sowa (only sells through other dealers - no direct sales), Akhurst Machinery, Modern Tool, BFG Machine Tools. The first five sell tooling (and some machinery), the last have some tooling, mostly machinery - new & used.

You can buy Diamond plated and grit tools from a company in Calgary.

Comment

BTW - for what it is worth, KBC has screwed EVERY order up that I have placed and overcharged me $35 in freight charges that I have never gotten a credit on yet despite my protests and explicit written shipping instructions.

They want me back, I expect freebies first. The 10% off specials price isn't enough.

Comment

Well it's good to hear that I'm not the only one with problems. I was wondering about the Toronto store as that seems to be the head office. Was thinking they may be better but when I phone I always get the Vancouver store. The Kennametal sales guy left me a KAR catalogue. They have good stuff but are pretty pricey and from Montreal they can't ship to BC overnight. Thrud...You've mentioned T. Skinner before. Guess I'll have to try them next time I need something in a hurry. Just pisses me off to loose a customer when they tell you it's in stock and it'll be shipped asap...so the guy tears his machine apart so we could do it on the weekend...then has to put it all back together (not repaired) for Monday. Almost makes me feel like starting up a tool store...lol! Thanks.
                        Russ
                        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I used to have problems with KBC but in the last two years everything has been fine.

I have it figured that those that work there are more like robots than people. If you try to get them to do something that they are not programmed for you are in for trouble.

If you phone your order in the chimp won't take it down right; always fax your order in.

If you ask them to ship by mail instead of UPS there is bound to be a screw-up, the robots are not programmed for Canada Post.

Canadian employers hire a lot of imigrants so if you have a problem that requires phoning them and the person that answers can't speak english; 'A' - say "sorry wrong number" and call them back later, or 'B'- ask for another department. ( I have no prejudices against other races but I feel that they should learn english before the employer lets them talk to customers on the phone)

I haven't had any problems since I started Faxing my orders and letting them ship UPS.

I guess they have me trained
                          To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I placed an order with them once about a year ago - by email. They confirmed the order, but never did ship it...

So, even though their sale prices can be tempting, I continue to buy locally.

Comment

Thrud is right, buy locally if you can. I order a fair amount of stuff from KBC and have had lots of problems. When I do order, I order a lot of stuff, every time I get charged shipping for the stuff they have in BC ( I am in Alberta), a seperate charge for shipping from Ontario for the stuff they ship from there. The stuff they b/o they usally don't charge shipping on, but half the time it never arives.

The worst thing I have had happen was a C.C.reciept out of the blue for several hundred dollars of stuff that I never bought. It was listed as a walk in sale, and even though I informed them I live 600 miles from them and didn't even know where the city they are located in is, it took them a month to straighten it out. They acted as if they were doing me a favor when they did refund my money, and never did apologize.

Last week I was connecting a new TOS lathe for our companies biggest customer, and was talking to the maintenence managger. Acording to him there are two catalogs for KBC, a list cataloge for most customers and a different one with a lower set of prices for their big users. I guess I should not be suprized, Acklands and every other wholesaler We deal with have a graduated set of prices, from list on down depending on how big a customer you are.

Comment

Working...
                              X