Carbide tipped boring bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbide tipped boring bars

Hey you all! I've been meaning to ask this for awhile. I bought what I "thought" was a decent twelve piece set of brazed tip boring bars (3/4" shank). These things "should" be really handy...they fit into tight places like blind bores, fit in my boring head/lathe tool post etc. They are supposed to be C-6 carbide. Problem is they dull really fast. Even in mild steel the point wears off after about 6" of cutting (depth). The only way I can get them to last a bit is to roll them up past center so the flat face of the bit is tipped up into the cut more. I've tried running them slow and fast. It doesn't seem to matter. The carbide seems pretty soft to me...I can easily grind it to shape on an ordinary wheel. Am I doing something wrong here or are they just a POS? I'm trying to decide what to do here. Did I just get a bad batch! Bad technique? They (KBC) have the same thing but in a US made grade. The set I bought are $148Cnd, the US ones are $400Cnd. Or I could buy a set of indexable carbide bit bars. Have any of you tried the US grade of these brazed bit bars? Or would the insert bars be better? The thing I like most about these sets...no matter what you need there is something in the bunch that will work...very quick and easy! I've got a few different configurations of bars that use 1/4" and 3/16" tool bits but they all have clearance issues and when boring larger flame cut holes I think a good carbide is tougher. Any ideas? Thanks!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

C-6 on imported boring bars stands for :-
    China - 6 which means they were made from the 6th milestone along the Great Wall, probably by the One Hung Lo Silk Flower and Tractor Factory.

Maybe tips from further along nearer the Tibetan border may be better.
    These are marked TC - xxx
    many people think that this stands for Tungsten Carbide when in fact it Tibetan / China.

The US ones are better quality as there aren't as many milestones in Conneticut.

Hope this helps.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John..Good day! Thanks for the explanation!!! And the laugh!
      Russ

Comment

Love those Chinese company names. "The Great Big Electric Motor Company"
        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

John...this reminds me of an ad I saw in a woodworking magazine some years ago. I think it was Delta, had a picture of a seven or eight year old Chinese kid sitting behind a grass hut. He was holding some machine part between his toes and was filing it to "perfection"! If I remember right the caption was "Who would you rather have building your woodworking machines". The reason I remember this is because I think I see toe prints in that carbide! They are a little bigger...maybe the kid grew up and moved over to the metal working division!

Comment

Ha,that kid now owns the Lucky Squrriel Machine factory manufacturing tools for Delta Guess the customers made a choice

You probably got a bad batch,time to bitch and complain,I got a set from KBC and the tips kept falling off(snot will not hold carbide to a tool body they sent me another set that was much better.

Me,I got a cheap set to grind up cutting junk and then a few individual US bars for critical work.As for the insert bars,stay away from Dorian,they suck royal.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 02-01-2005).]
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I just got a set for a trade. I gave the guy a small magnifying glass and I got a whole set of those crap boring bars. With the handy holderI wish to braze high speed steel tips on. Then grind. I feel the hss tips will work a lot better than the chinese carbide crap.

Comment

So let me get this straight. You bought something from KBC tools because it was "cheap" (which means it was from "China").

It wasn't up to high dollar expectations.

You complain bitterly about the "Chinese Crap" and want commiseration, someone to hand you a crying towel and everyone to condem that "other one" who sold you that crap yet you were the one trying to skin a fat hog by buying cheap and go long.

Sounds to me like KBC stands for "Knowledgeable Chinese Bankers".

Just send it back. Am I right!

Comment

Weird...do the US ones hold up pretty good? If they do I think I might see if they'd credit these and I'll make up the difference on a US set.
                  madman...I was thinking the same thing. Braze a bunch of HSS bits on these. They might not want them back after that though!
                  Russ

Comment

torker;
                    go with the indexable insert 3/4" bar.
                    i have several in different lenghts and am very happy with them...jim
                    ...jim

Comment

You got a bad batch. I have several of the cheap boring sets that cost me about $20 a set, and I have had zero problems with them. Send them back (at their expense) and make them replace them. I have many other boring bars, but I find myself using the cheap brazed ones quite frequently.

Comment

Yep the US ones are good.I like to keep a few HSS bars around too,you never know when you will need to put a snap ring groove in a 3/8" bore,its a PITA to regrind one of the carbide units for that purpose.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Anonther update...I FINALLY got a response from KBC about the boring bars. The General Manager of the Western Canada Division called me today and we had quite a discussion about these POS boring bars. She..yep a gurl... was really pissed about these things. She said this is the first complaint they have ever had about their middle of the road boring bar sets. She's sending me out another set right away...made in Poland. And I'm sending back the other set. She's even testing the ones she sends out to make sure they are okay. I'm thinking this is about as good of service as you'd get anywhere. She said that they don't want to sell crap but want to offer a "middle of the road" line of tooling for the hobby guys that will still give good service. So...Green Willy...shove your dumma$$ comments up your nose. Did you EVER use a boring bar set from KBC? Have you ever used a boring bar set period? Oh...let me guess..you only buy the VERY best that the USA has to offer..right?
                          Russ

Comment

Polish-made set should work well. Eastern Europe does a great job on tooling. I bought the TMX-Pafana bars from Penn Tool:

http://www.penntoolco.com/catalog/pr...ategoryID=4857

They sell 3/4" up to 1 3/4". Dead copy of Valenite for 25% of Valenite's cost. Nicely machined & finished, probably because Pole's don't live near Great Walls or in grass huts!

------------------
                            Barry Milton
                            Barry Milton

Comment

Working...
                            X