Starrett 196

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starrett 196

I have a chance to purchase a Starrett 196 dial indicator with its box and accessories (no mag clamp) for $50 used.

Is this a deal in your oppinion and is the Starrett 196 a decent dial indicator?

Thank you!

Here is the set

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cuemaker:
      is the Starrett 196 a decent dial indicator?

Thank you!
      </font>
      Best get one graduated in 100's or 200's.
      196 is a funny graduation to be using if you have to go round the dial a few times.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I've got one...don't use it much. The plunger back seems like an inconvenient arrangement to me. I find a "Last Word" or one of the AGA-style more useful. Still, Starrett has been making that 196 for a whole lot of years, so some people must like it. And, occasionally, I find that it's just the thing for some particular job. Depends on what you're doing.

----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

They are a good indicator, and that is a good price for one in decent condition.

After the smoke clears, a 196, a Last Word and a 1" travel conventional indicator will cover most of the day to day requirements.

The further you go in this hobby, the more tools and tooling you are going to find a need and use for. The best time to buy them is when you find them at a good price, not when you have to have them.
          Jim H.

Comment

I use mine on our granite table when I am checking to see how flat or warped something is. I have used it on the lathe and it works fine there also. I paid twenty bucks for mine from some guy that needed alcohol more than he needed job.

Comment

I have the set and use it on occation. It is convienint to indicate round stock in a 4 jaw chuck in the lathe. As SGW says it is convienient for some jobs.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...872418590&rd=1

You mean this kind of Last Word?

Comment

This will get disagreement from happy users and agreement from those who have dealt with flakey ones but the Starrett "last word" indicator leaves much to be desired compared to many other (even low cost imported) choices. They are a very temperamental design with somewhat crude parts.

I own two of them and never use them. Interapid, Tesa (Bestest) and Brown & Sharpe (also Tesa) DTIs are solid, dependable indicators and the Bestest is frequently on sale. They blow away the last word both in terms and design, quality and more importantly, repeatability and accuracy. Den

[This message has been edited by nheng (edited 02-10-2005).]

Comment

Yes that is a Last Word indicator. They come in .001 as will as .0005 versions as well. I have 2 and have not had any trouble from either one. I also have a B&S set as well and it has been good. I have only one in a .001 version and that's the Starrett.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nheng:
                      This will get disagreement from happy users and agreement from those who have dealt with flakey ones but the Starrett "last word" indicator leaves much to be desired compared to many other (even low cost imported) choices. They are a very temperamental design with somewhat crude parts.
                      .]
                      </font>
                      I have a Last Word.....and a cheap $20 chinese type as well.

I use the cheap chinese one when I need it right.

The Last Word is for when I don't want to risk the valuable chinese one.......and it actually is pretty decent for indicating tram, simply because it naturally has the sweep diameter I need.

Last Word cost me $5 in perfect working order, and was *probably* worth the money.

If the 196 is the back plunger unit, I have a couple of them also. It and the LW are cousins who might be best advised not to marry.....

They share the tendency to unfindable stickiness and sudden reluctance to move the dial, despite it being perfectly free working at most any other time except when you need them to show a deflection..

[This message has been edited by J Tiers (edited 02-10-2005).]
                      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I prefer the 196 for some things, like tramming in the vise on mill or shaper. It sets up quick and the big button smooths out minor nicks in the jaws. I've yet to try the inside-the-hole thingy, though. A retired Navy friend hates the 196 because the Navy wouldn't buy anything else. That was dumb, but they do have their niche, IMHO.

For most other things I use the Phase II DTI. The LW just sits on the shelf for looks.

Sticky indicators just need maintenance.

$50 seems a bit high, used indicators are often cheaper in my area.

BillB

Comment

Generally speaking, is there interchangeability among the different brands, as far as the accessory clamps, and the shank of the instrument? Or is each one unique (by design, I'd guess)?
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Right after I bought my mill/drill I was searching the pawn shop for a throw away 9/16" S&D drill bit to fit my 1/2" hand drill to make the mounting holes in my floor and came upon a 196 tossed in the bolt/bit bucket.

It was dirty filthy and stuck and looked like it lived under water for a couple of years or two.
                            I asked the girl "how much?" and she said "that looks about like a 50 center".

After I got it home I opened it up and cleaned and oiled it up and it works great.

I wouldn't buy this type new (as mentioned it has its limitations) but out of all the machine tool devices I purchased this is the best half a buck I ever spent.

I would check the pawn shops and look for a better price, you never know, you might find a great price on a 9/16" Silver and Demming bit! I never found one that day

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by inspectorsparky:
                              Right after I bought my mill/drill I ...... came upon a 196 tossed in the bolt/bit bucket.

It was dirty filthy and stuck and looked like it lived under water for a couple of years or two.
                              I asked the girl "how much?" and she said "that looks about like a 50 center".

</font>
                              That's even better than $5 for the full 196 indicator and accessory set in a wood box....for 50 cents, can't go wrong...my kind of deal.

Around here, yours would be $25 in a pawn shop....a good one $100 . As soon as anything passes their door going in, it turns to gold....in their opinion.

CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Working...
                              X