Advice needed: 3ph Colochester / 1ph supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed: 3ph Colochester / 1ph supply

I have recently taken delivery of my Colchester Student. I have run it up with a 1ph substitute motor to check it out and it seems OK.
    The age old question is should I find a large enough 1ph motor or opt for a RPC or VFD?
    What advice or recommendation can anyone offer and if I opt for a VFD, what are reliable units.
    Our 1ph supply is 240v and the motor on this lathe is a AEI 220-250v / 380-440v 1380 rpm 3ph.
    If there is anyone local who can be of assistance that would be great.
    I have a couple of other machines that I would prefer to run on 3ph also.

cheers, Ken

here's a couple of shots
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...00DVC00291.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...00DVC00295.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...00DVC00289.jpg

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 02-10-2005).]
    Ken.

I recently got my Clausing Colchester MKII and I went the RPC way with an idler motor.

I picked up a 7hp motor and a old RPC box for $50 (got lucky) and got even luckier when someone gave me a brand new phase-a-matic phase converter.

But if I hadnt been so lucky I would have built a RPC since it would have been the cheapest way to go.

I decided my path based on cost. If I had more money I would have gone VFD, but they are expensive in my oppinion.

You dont list your location or the HP of your motor in your lath

Comment

I recently got my Clausing Colchester MKII and I went the RPC way with an idler motor.

I picked up a 7hp motor and a old RPC box for $50 (got lucky) and got even luckier when someone gave me a brand new phase-a-matic phase converter.

But if I hadnt been so lucky I would have built a RPC since it would have been the cheapest way to go.

I decided my path based on cost. If I had more money I would have gone VFD, but they are expensive in my oppinion.

You dont list your location or the HP of your motor in your lathe

Comment

oh, and your lathe looks alot like mine!

Nice purchase!

Comment

Hi Ken, nice purchase. Did you send off the chinese lathe you had? I'm afraid I'm no help with the power question, but IMHO I would try to stick with the 3ph motor and investigate some method of producing 3 ph for it. I would go and see the guys at South Auckland Amature Winders. I see they are now in Firth St Drury.

John.

Comment

hi ya,ken.nice lathe.if you want to stay with 1ph,you're practically limited to about 2hp.i haven't seen any bigger 1ph motors here.if you can go 3ph,you'll find it will run a lot smoother.but from what i've seen,the vfd's and rotary converters are all big $ items in nz.
            my lathe has a 2hp 1ph,and i can just stall it with a heavy parting cut,so 3hp would probably be about the best for your collie,assuming 3ph power.talking of power,i'm amazed how little difference my machines make on our power bill.i had the mill(2hp 1ph)running virtually non-stop for the last month,and it seems to have made hardly any difference.our toys must be super-efficient power users,5stars at least! .see ya

------------------
            Hans
            Hans

Comment

Cuemaker, I have looked at your lathe and you did well, especially with the extras.
              Hi to John and Hans, how are you handling this heat? it's killing me! but I'm carrying too much excess which doesn't help
              Now I will answer your questions.
              The lathe has a 3ph 3hp motor. I may be able to buy a VFD at a good price but what that might be I don't know yet. I have a rep coming in the next couple of days to give a demo and maybe a trial period ( that would be nice, aye )
              Yes, I will go visit them John, they are very helpful. I bought a start cap off them a while ago for my MV 1.5hp 1ph motor that powers the Lantaine. No I haven't sold the lathe yet although it will be up for sale when the Colchester is sorted. A mate of mine was going fizzy about it the other day but he already has two lathes .
              Hans, I have a couple of MV 1.5 1ph motors ( S.A.A.W tell me that they are nearer 2hp as the older motors hp are understated ) Also I have a 1.8 kw ( 2.4 hp ) 1ph that I could use but I would prefer a 3ph set up. So I have a couple of options -- fingers crossed.
              I had some good fortune, a scrappie mate of mine gave me some lathe bits which consisted of a leadscrew, a fixed and travelling steady, a dead centre and adapter for the spindle and odds and sods. You can see the fixed steady in the image, it fits like a glove ( 6.5" centre height )so I'm thinking that it must be off a Chinese knock-off.I'm wondering if it is off a lathe similar to yours Hans, I'll post a shots later this weekend on this thread or direct if your'e interested.
              The reason that your power is so cheap Hans is because it's made down there -- you lucky Mainlanders! We pay an absolute fortune for power here, keep those hydros full will you? . Any more advice is welcome;

cheers, Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 02-10-2005).]
              Ken.

Comment

Chevpac Machinery Panmure Auckland (www.chevpac.co.nz)sells up to 5HP single phase motors. Built to China's finest construction standards of course.

Cost, however, is another thing....

Comment

Speedy......

Did you buy that so you could make the bits to repair that Myford...

Seriously,I've got 3 phase and a VFD on my Myford and mill,there is no way I would go back to single phase on a machine tool.

Soft start,easy reverse and a real boon parting off and facing,you can just increase the speed as you get nearer the centre by just turning the pot on the VFD.

Allan

Comment

Thanks Rover, I'm a big fan of Chinese made ( food, that is )
                    Myford?.....Oh yes I had almost forgotten until you reminded me ( once again )...Allan I'm a sensitive, caring soul and your constant digs at my inactivety is begining to take its' toll; I'm at the end of my tether and I don't think that I can take anymore, I think I will jump from a great height

cheers, Ken
                    Ken.

Comment

Wot you mean,constant digs,I've not mentioned it since last year,probably next due about Easter..

Allan

Comment

See, there you go again!......I'm gonna jump NOW! take care Allan

cheers , Ken
                        Ken.

Comment

Hey Ken!!

Comment

Hi Ken,
                            So it made the trip ok then.
                            I am buying some drives for work that are single to 3 phase If you get the details off the motor (current etc) I can get you a price. The place is called Drive Dynamics and is located next door to where I work.
                            I see there is a Student on trade Me last night maybe you should get it for a spare !

Comment

I'm back, no real harm done.....besides I can't jump very high anyway .

Hi Mike, how are you handling the heat down there?? it's killing me at times up here. Maybe a case for instituting compulsery Summer siestas?
                              Thanks for the offer, if you can get a price and some specs that would be good.

The motor plate says:
                              AEI - Kapak induction motor #FB 2304.9003 - 3hp 3ph - size 0.90L - 8.75 amps -220/250-380/440 volts - star/delta connection - 1380 rpm.

I had a look at the lathe, spares would be good but I have to refrain as space is at a premium at present.
                              Some spare train gears and tool holders would be nice though I must keep my eyes open for some.

cheers, Ken

[This message has been edited by speedy (edited 02-11-2005).]
                              Ken.

Comment

Working...
                              X