horizontal mill speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horizontal mill speed

Looking to buy a horizontal mill some go to 1000 rpm others to 3000 why the big difference in speeds?

1)Because the 3000rpm mill is a poorly
    designed adaptation from a vertical mill?
    2)It is really a horizontal boring machine?
    3)It is intended for woodworking?
    Steve
    Steve

Comment

I'd look at the low end of the range.

You probably want speeds down to 20 or 30 rpm for larger cutters in certain materials.

The high end is a "whatever"

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

I would want a full range, 30 to 3000 rpm.

May have to drill a 3/16" hole on the edge of some darn plate some day, and 30 rpm won't cut it.

I had a Bridgeport set up, ram parrell to the table, head in line with the y axis, for deep drilling oil holes (3/16") in the edge of machinery frames for years.

What brands are you talking about?
        The 3000 one is probably newer.

kap

Comment

Depends on the age of the machine.
          1900-1930 25-500 rpm.
          1930-1945 80-1,000rpm.
          1945- present 100->

Same type of march as other machines like lathes,speeds increased with cutting material technology.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I have had a horizontal for years. In almost all cases I am working no higher than 600 rpm. In most cases I am looking for below 200rpm. I can't picture what type of work you would be doing if you are operating a horizontal unit above 1000????? I use both type of cutters. HSS and replaceable carbide type, but still never near 1000rpm.

Comment

Gunsmith,

Someday soon your boss may give you an aluminum plate, 3/4" x 36" x 36 "
              He's going to want 10 - 32 tapped holes all around into the 3/4" edge.

Can't set it vertical on the Bridgeport.

That .159" drill is going to thank you for those extra rpm's.

You're right about most typical horizontal work doing face milling, keyseating, and slotting.

If there wasn't a need for the rpm's, they wouldn't make them.

kap

Comment

Run a 4" inserted face mill at 700 RPM approx, 1/4" DOC 2-1/2" width at 10-12"PM,
                cut opposed 45 deg angles about 7/8" deep at 65 RPM approx, 6-8"PM, using 5"D angle cutters. Find edges at 1500 RPM. Definitely need a wide range of speeds, they come in handy.
                Harry

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">

Someday soon your boss may give you an aluminum plate, 3/4" x 36" x 36 "
                  He's going to want 10 - 32 tapped holes all around into the 3/4" edge.
                  Can't set it vertical on the Bridgeport.
                  </font>
                  That's what a floorstanding drill press is for, isn't it?

Mark out the holes and fixture it vertical.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Ya no, tools is like fishing lures. Make em as horny looking as ya want, add all the dohickeys ya want and the only thing it catches is more fishermen. Speed, speed and more speed. If ya can't sell the slow one just add another gear and watch what happens.
                    Kap, I'm the boss in my shop. If someone comes in with that aluminum my plan is to use my drill press.

Comment

Working...
                    X