Cutting Off Chrome-lined Bbl.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Off Chrome-lined Bbl.?

A friend asked me to shorten the 24" bbl. on the upper receiver he uses on his full-auto M16 lower. He'd like me to cut it back to std. SR length of 20", then turn & thread the muzzle for the flash suppressor. My concern is that I believe this is a chrome-lined barrel, and I'm worried about the chrome plating in the bore flaking/peeling when the tip of a parting tool cuts into the bore. Anyone have any experience, advice, and/or opinions on this matter?
    Regards,
    Dennis

You are correct, this is not adviseable.The chrome will flake or peel at the muzzel.

Comment

i agree, i wouldn't cut it. besides, half the fun (and advantage) of the M-16 style rifles is that you can have a whole slew of uppers and swap out whichever one suits your fancy that day. at the very least if your friend doesn't want to spend the $450 or so for a new upper, he could just pick up a new barrel and replace the 24" one. you'll have to do some disassembly anyway to shorten the 24" barrel.

andy b.
      The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Another friend suggested I part it off at least 1/8" long in case the chrome lining does chip, then use a fresh, sharp carbide insert to face the new muzzle back to the desired length, working from the bore out during the facing cuts. Sounds reasonable to me.
        Regards,
        Dennis

Comment

Working...
        X