Remember the B52 crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember the B52 crash

A few pics of the crash,apparently one of the eight engines was salvaged.

http://www.stukastudios.se/b52.htm

Allan

That's a heartbreaker. Does anyone know what happened to cause the crash?

Orrin
    So many projects. So little time.

Comment

Just watched the video. Looks almost identical the crash of a real B-52 at Fairchild Air Force base here in Spokane Wa.

They were practicing some low level maneuvers for an annual air show they put on.

They were at maybe only 500 ft. and the pilot made an extremely tight turn and it appeared that the plane just couldn't maintain lift. The wing was almost verticle just like that model.

There was a film crew that captured the entire event, accept that in this case, they caught it as it hit the ground.

The B-52 is one of historys most reliable aircraft. However, whether it be a model or the real thing, exceding the limits of design will get you into trouble.

The real crash here was blamed on pilot error, and after seeing the movie of the model, it looks like that's what happened to it also.

------------------
      Gene
      Gene

Comment

That's enough to make a grown man cry.
        Barry Milton

Comment

In my book it is one of the top five R/C planes ever built along with the B-29 for the Right Stuff and the Handley Page Victor built by a guy in Britian whose name escapes me right now
          Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

A real B52 crashed in the same way in low level flight prepping for an airshow, plane made turn, lost speed, lift and ball of fire resulted. Comment in magazine:
            "Pilots have to remember the buff can fly itself into situations it can't fly out of"
            which of course applies to all planes.
            Steve

[This message has been edited by sch (edited 03-03-2005).]
            Steve

Comment

Yup... It happens to the best of us.. Rebuilding is part of the hobby..

Here is a tip though: When your flying in combat, never look at the other airplane, keep your eyes always on YOUR airplane.. Always try and take-out your appoonents streamer on an up-climb (Allways pull up into them and never dive downwards at your opponent)..

He who hits the ground LAST wins...

-3Ph

Comment

The mistake appears to be the classic one where the aircraft was starting to bank and the pilot misinterpreted the direction of bank. In correcting for the bank he corrected in the wrong direction making the bank worse until it was too late.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Amazing. That thing weighs more than some real sail planes that you can get in and actually fly!

Marv

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:

Here is a tip though: When your flying in combat, never look at the other airplane, keep your eyes always on YOUR airplane.. Always try and take-out your appoonents streamer on an up-climb (Allways pull up into them and never dive downwards at your opponent)..

-3Ph
                    </font>
                    Sorry,can't agree with any of that.Always know where the other plane is,if the speeds are about equal he'll be going round faster if he's higher up,so if you are below, your speed is slower relatively...Go for the streamer at ANY opportunity,even if your opponent is only 12" from the deck.
                    The first man to hit the floor often wins if he's got enough points already,your opponent needs to be flying for you to score any more points.

Sometimes I still miss flying combat,but old farts like me can't move as fast as some of you young pups.

Allan

[This message has been edited by Allan Waterfall (edited 03-03-2005).]

Comment

Double post again,my fault

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Allan Waterfall:
                        Sorry,can't agree with any of that.Always know where the other plane is,if the speeds are about equal he'll be going round faster if he's higher up,so if you are below, your speed is slower relatively...Go for the streamer at ANY opportunity,even if your opponent is only 12" from the deck.
                        The first man to hit the floor often wins if he's got enough points already,your opponent needs to be flying for you to score any more points.

Sometimes I still miss flying combat,but old farts like me can't move as fast as some of you young pups.

Allan

</font>
                        You must play combat with rubber band powered airplanes.. We're a little crazy at our field.. At the speeds we play, you need to keep your eyes on your own airplane otherwise your plane is in the ground or you'r asking someone else if they know where your plane is. When focusing on your airplane, you need to also keeping track of the fuzzy dot (the other guy).

I'm sure I would be cutting your streamer at least 10 times before it touches the ground...

-3Ph

Comment

I can't watch the crash video but I was able to watch the take-off video... Is the crash video and take-off video in different formats?

I'm not using Windows so it looks like the crash video is a Windows WMV file maybe?

-3Ph

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb:

I'm sure I would be cutting your streamer at least 10 times before it touches the ground...
                            -3Ph
                            </font>
                            The over confident ones were always the easiest to beat.

A good man knows where his model is by the feel at the handle.

I've still got 3 models and enough lines,props etc.

Allan

Comment

Yes, WMV file. Watch if you can. Looks to me like the pilot thought the plane plane might fly like something smaller and lighter. He banks it real hard. Can't do that on something this size or the real one.

I could see an RC'er making the correction mistake if the plane was coming at him, but I would assume this was an experienced pilot.

------------------
                              Gene

The pilot of the real one that crashed was a known hot dog and show off. He was going for max effect of a plane that size making a really tight turn a couple of hundred feet above the crowd.

[This message has been edited by topct (edited 03-03-2005).]
                              Gene

Comment

Working...
                              X