Motorcycle Folks- A Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Folks- A Poll

I was wondering how many 2 wheeler fans we have here. #1, What are ya riding? #2, Favorite bike ever made? (You don't have to own it) #3, Favorite bike flick? I just thought it'd be interesting to find out a little more about my brothers here. I love all kinds of bikes, started in the dirt when I was 11, been riding 34 years. Still love dirt riding, want to get a new Honda 250 4 stroke for that. I'll start the ball rolling; #1, 2004 S&S Shovelhead, hardtail, I built from the ground up. #2, Vincent Black Shadow. #3, "On Any Sunday" Thanks to all who respond, Smitty
    Smitty.... Ride Hard, Die Fast

#1 I ride a 91 springer,my wife a 76 shovel I resarected from a basket.
    #2 Every bike I had a hand in building
    #3 Easyrider
    Keep the rubber side down
    Rob
    My wifes bike,
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/09...n/5992a35b.jpg

Comment

I have several bikes all 2 stroke
      1981 RD350LC
      1983 RZ350
      1985 RZ500
      1987 TZR250
      1989 TZR250
      1985 Honda NS400R
      Suzuki T125 Stinger
      Puch SRA150 scooter
      and a few awaiting execution or restoration

Comment

Curently ride a Victory V92C. I have had a few bikes, and loved them all, but there is some thing about this Vic that I really like.

Bob

Comment

Have a Husaberg FC501 4 stroke and Kawasaki KX250 2 stroke dirt bikes. Last Road bike was an 84 GPZ1100.
          Before that always had Brit bikes, 66 Spitfire, 75 Trident to name but two.
          Best bike out there: Triumph Speed triple
          Ken

Comment

I am currently chopping a 72 cb750 sohc Honda. Been working on it on and off for some time, mainly off.

Comment

sorry for the double post

[This message has been edited by Ted (edited 02-25-2005).]

Comment

Yes, but I think we should put a machining slant on this thread. Yes, I am a motorcycle nut, having raced dirt bikes for some 25 years. But lets talk about what we have done in our shops so that all of the other machinists can enjoy as well, since after all this is a machinists forum!

Having said that, I guess I have to go first. Well, there are dozens of successful machining repairs and jigs, but I must tell you about one that didn't go that well.

It was when I noticed a lot of "slop" on my throttle barrel control on the right side of the handlebar. I removed the throttle grip control to see that the aluminum handlebar had worn down .060 to .100, causing the "slop".

So being a welder, I decided to fix the problem in my shop instead of spending $150 for a new set of bars. So I hacksawed off the worn out end off the right side of the handlebar, and then found another bent bar in my scrap heap, hacksawed off the left side end (the left side that never wears out) and then TIG welded the stub back on. I recall taking great care in grinding back relief so that I would get good penetration. I think I used type 5356 filler rod.
                Perfect! So I thought.

I was so proud of myself. I told all my friends, thinking I could drum up some business. In the next race, I was pounding through some whoops in third gear about 35 miles an hour,(whoop is a series of lots of big bumps one right after the next) and the bar broke clean off! Did I ever take a bad crash! I got away lucky, only broke my thumb.

Anyhow, with that experience under my belt, I got a lot smarter. I learned almost all aluminum handlebars are made of 7000 series aluminum and don't take kindly to welding. In fact I found out that these bars break like glass without welding. in a crash that is.... Oh I'm getting too old for this I think...

Comment

Currently on the road: '68 Harley FL rigid frame chop.
                  Numerous project bikes.
                  Dream bike: '36 Harley VLH or Brough-Superior SS-100 Grand Alpine
                  Movie: I'll have to go along with "On any Sunday"

Comment

I've been riding since I was a little wee wee. I raced 125cc and 250cc supercross when I was younger.

My current street bike is a 2004 GSXR750:

My wife wants to learn and is taking the MSF course next month. She bought a new 2005 Ninja 250R this winter and we put it in the house until she's ready to ride it this spring:

-3Ph

Comment

3 Phase- one of my son's buddies has a GSXR-1000, which he let me ride. WOW! His riding buddy had the GSXR-750, and he lost his license shortly after he got the thing.

Comment

My favorite is a 76 Goldwing. For extended traveling with tent and sleeping bags, my wife and I like the 1500 wing with more storage and intercom.
                        Gerry

Comment

1991 FLHTC ElectraGlide

1948 or 1949 HydraGlide Panhead

Easy Rider, seen it xxx times

------------------
                          Barry Milton
                          Barry Milton

Comment

My first was an Indian 249 in 1958(POS)and it got worse as I did repairs.
                            Currently riding a 97 XLH 1200 Sportster, 100 Hodaka Dirt Squirt, 125 Rickman-Zundapp and a 250 Hodaka Thunderdog.
                            I love bikes, working on as well as riding.
                            Sterling

Comment

I've had an '80 Honda Hawk 400 for all but one of it's years. I'm not a large person, so it's been all I ever needed or wanted. Now it needs some work, so maybe by summer I'll be riding again. As far as mechanical innovations, or whatever, I made up a boom to carry my camera ahead of the front wheel, and adjustable from just skimming the ground to about three or four feet height. It has a sliding mechanism which the camera mounts to, and that removes much of the vibration that might normally be transmitted to the camera. The camera's mounting plate stays level as it's raised or lowered, thus keeping the aim in the horizontal plane. This is an articulated bunch of arms and pivot points. This whole thing allows the bike to bounce up and down, and jolt forwards or backwards somewhat without the camera having to follow suit. It's kind of zoomy watching a video made with the camera low to the ground. One of the nicest videos was a run through the chuckanut drive just south of Bellingham.
                              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                              X