Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the smoke cleared? More ladies in the shop!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Has the smoke cleared? More ladies in the shop!

    And now for something completely different...

    Canadian women in the machine shop

    Now remember everone, BE NICE! Big Sister is watching.




    Image from the Canada Science and Technology Museum

    http://imagescn.technomuses.ca/aviat...id=128&index=1

    Ed Pacenka

  • #2
    I heard about this shop. They had to wear badges with their IQ on them.

    Comment


    • #3
      Women or not, this is a great "safety Poster Child" shot.

      1. No safety glasses
      2. Rings on th fingers
      3. Hands in the work area
      4. More than one person operating the handles on a machine.
      5. Long hair unrestrained.

      Now if the machine were actually running......
      CCBW, MAH

      Comment


      • #4
        No problem here. But I only see one person working the machine, the other seems to only be holding a mic. How many guys take off their wedding rings at work?

        Comment


        • #5
          Why do women always feel the need to do things together??

          Ken
          Ken.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hey Speedy
            Ya ever see them Harley riders? They are like a bunch wimmin going to the bathroom, always in groups.
            lg

            Comment


            • #7
              <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spope14:
              [B]Women or not, this is a great "safety Poster Child" shot.

              1. No safety glasses
              2. Rings on th fingers
              3. Hands in the work area
              4. More than one person operating the handles on a machine.
              5. Long hair unrestrained.

              </font>
              Obviously they "both" have a micrometer, but ignoring the fact that it is an "old" photo, since when do you need safety glasses to measure the diameter of a part on the lathe?

              Ring on finger.........what indication is there that they are "operating the lathe". They might be inspectors.

              Hands in the work area......how else would they measure the part in place?

              More than one person operating the handles. My eyes are bad, but not that bad. I see "one hand" on "one handled wheel".

              Long hair unrestrained.....Again, maybe they're inspectors. Machine doesn't appear to be running. Maybe it's unplugged. No evidence to indicate that it is unsafe.

              JMHO........
              RPease

              Comment


              • #8
                How come I never had the chance to assist a lady on a lathe!. Sure would make my day, especially the one on the left!!! ---

                [This message has been edited by Jim Luck (edited 03-06-2005).]

                Comment


                • #9
                  You guys must have led a sheltered Life !
                  My father-in-law was a Tool and Die Maker.
                  He raised his oldest daughter in his home shop.
                  She ran all the tools, and safely too, since he was the shop Safety Man and Apprentice trainer at work.
                  When I found her, I married her. Best dam thing I have ever done in my life.
                  She knows the lingo, and helps out when I need a third hand
                  When I need a tool, no problem, in fact she is always telling me to buy what I need for the shop.
                  You are missing out on a great opportunity !
                  My daughter fixes her own cars, and in college, she had to help her boyfriends when
                  Clutches and Master cylinders failed (read she DID it )

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Opincarne:
                    No problem here. But I only see one person working the machine, the other seems to only be holding a mic. How many guys take off their wedding rings at work? </font>
                    I do how else will I appear single! J/K really I do take it off around hazardous chemicals and machinery, in fact I often leave it at home. My wife knows I'm married and that's all that matters.



                    ------------------
                    -Christian D. Sokolowski

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wedding what wedding ring? After I left it in the toolbox one night and caught all get out for it(been married 6 months at the time), I just left it at home and only wore it when we went out. Even stopped that after a bit. I do not even think I could get it on my finger now. She knows I don't stray and doesn't mind that its not there to stake her claim. Know a lot of electricians that don't wear theirs either for similar reasons.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by larry_g:
                        Hey Speedy
                        Ya ever see them Harley riders? They are like a bunch wimmin going to the bathroom, always in groups.
                        lg
                        </font>
                        Yeah Larry, a lot like hot rodders at an annual run?

                        cheers, Ken
                        Ken.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RPease:
                          Obviously they "both" have a micrometer, but ignoring the fact that it is an "old" photo, since when do you need safety glasses to measure the diameter of a part on the lathe?

                          Ring on finger.........what indication is there that they are "operating the lathe". They might be inspectors.

                          Hands in the work area......how else would they measure the part in place?

                          More than one person operating the handles. My eyes are bad, but not that bad. I see "one hand" on "one handled wheel".

                          Long hair unrestrained.....Again, maybe they're inspectors. Machine doesn't appear to be running. Maybe it's unplugged. No evidence to indicate that it is unsafe.

                          JMHO........
                          </font>
                          Any time you are in a shop you should have safety glasses on.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Oh and I cant beleive some one hasn't told us the brand,model, and year of the lathe.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Lovely example of a 9" South bend. Probably a little 20 incher. Just like mine. And these ladies would be more than welcome to run it.

                              As far as the year I'm going to guess early forties. I think I can see the top of a hex bolt for the headstock bearing.



                              [This message has been edited by topct (edited 03-07-2005).]
                              Gene

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X