No announcement yet.

#5 Morse taper collets - do they exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #5 Morse taper collets - do they exist?

the spindle taper on the old LeBlond lathe i got looks like a #5 Morse. anyone know of a source for collets for this size? or, can i get an adapter somewhere to use a smaller collet (#4MT, #3MT, 5C, R-8, etc.)? i haven't been able to find anything that will work. i want to get something that fits in the spindle bore, not a thread-on adapter.

thanks,

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

YES, MT5s are as common as MT4s, MT3s,MT2s and MT1s. YES you can get sleeves to size down, either one step at a time or you can attain one to go from MT5 to MT2 if you want!. There's a large variety of MT adaptors available. They are usually called sleeves if the are the size down type. If you can think of it, its out there!!!----

[This message has been edited by otto luck (edited 03-15-2005).]

Comment

What about using a 5MT to 5C adapter?
      Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

Comment

SORRY, not available!. It would be nice thou. A MT to an R8 or 5C, thats a dream. There in it for the $, or else its an engineering thing! I'm not sure.....

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by otto luck:
          SORRY, not available!. It would be nice thou. A MT to an R8 or 5C, thats a dream. There in it for the $, or else its an engineering thing! I'm not sure.....</font>
          Sorry, MT5 is a common lathe spindle size and MT5 X 5C collet adaptors are readily available.

MT2 & MT3 collets are available as well, I don't recall seeing other sizes, but they may be around. Drill sleeves and collets are two different animals.
          Jim H.

Comment

Mr. JCHannum: Seeing I never saw one, I quess I did'ent know. I see you said MT5 to 5C, Is that the only size MT that has the 5C adaptor available?.

Comment

JC,

i've been searching all over and can't find a MT5 to 5C adapter. that is what i would prefer to get. it would be most appreciated if you could post a link to such a creation.

andy b.
              The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

andy b

Email me offline at [email protected] and I can maybe help you

Comment

Andy,
                  We have an old(er) LeBlond at school. It's headstock sleeve "looks" like a #5 MT, but isn't. We ended up having to make a sleeve. We sleeved it for a #3 MT. The outside taper was some sort of a mongrul. Can you stick in anything with a #5 MT to verify that a #5 MT is indeed what you need? Maybe you have already. If so, this post never really happened. ;-)

------------------
                  Charlie
                  Eastern Maine, USA
                  Charlie
                  http://emccmachinist.blogspot.com
                  Eastern Maine, USA

Comment

I have a 5MT with a chuck on it sitting around some where, I think I have an 8MT in the same box. If you want them, contact me off line.

Jerry

Comment

If a guy just had a lathe he could make a plug to fit the spindle and then bore that out to take a 5C collet. I did for my 16" S.B. which uses a 4 1/2 Morse taper so there would be plenty of of material if you have a #5.

Comment

Their was an article in HSM or MW mags a while back. Here is a link to article about building the adapter- not the actual construction article itself. Simple enough to figure out...
                        http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/collet/collet.html

Comment

I made my own collet adapter and drawbar similar to the one in the above link.

Mt5 is the smallest Morse taper that a 5C collet will fit, that is why it is a common. Most come with the lathe, but can be purchased from Royal and others. Be prepared to spent big $$ though.

Smaller MT spindles use the same arrangement with other collets.

Making an adapter directly in the spindle is a simple turning job and assures the best accuracy.
                          Jim H.

Comment

Yep ,here is a smaller R8 adapter from a link off this website....

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/new...4.html#collets

Comment

Get a MT5 to ER40 and do away with those crappy one size 5C's and get a set that covers all sizes, metric and Imperial with no gaps.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                              X