Bill needs parts and info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill needs parts and info

My buddy Bill needs help in his restoration of an old South Bend Lathe. First, he would like to know what year it was made and if possible what model it is. Here is a photo of the apron and the ser. no. that is stamped on the tailstock end of the bed.

He needs to find the missing apron parts which include the bracket and worm bushing (name?) to drive the power feeds.

This is the only identifiction plate on the machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

The halfnut lever looks like a 1920 era lathe but cant say for sure, maybe even older, take that serial number and call the sb lathe parts people up.

Comment

G.A. Ewen,
      Measure from tail stock centre to V way of the bed, If it's 7-5/8" then it is a 15" lathe if it is 6-5/8 it's a 13" lathe. I have my 13" apart now for a broken apron. If it's a 15" I would have to disasemble.
      These are from my 13"

------------------
      Doug
      Doug

Comment

If it is a single wall apron, it probably is a Series O, 1http://www.southbendlathe.com/series/oseries.htm928-1930

From the South Bend website.
        Jim H.

Comment

G.A. Ewen,

If he can't find the parts they shouldn't be too hard to make using welded materials. Matter of fact weld them up - grind them to look like the originals - machine needed surfaces and you got it! G.A., don't you think that would be pretty easy?

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 03-17-2005).]

Comment

Vmil3,
            Bill took the measurements and it is a 13".
            I won't have any problem making the parts if you would be kind enough to give some dimensions.

Is the thread pitch 5 tpi?

Thanks for your help.
            To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

G.A. Ewen,
              Yes the thread pitch is 5 tpi left hand, will send drawings to Bill tomorrow

------------------
              Doug
              Doug

Comment

Working...
              X