OT: Groundhog SEASON???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good observation Dan.I was yanking you.

I would never put a collar on a outside cat, Cats have a habit of going through fences I have seen cats hung up on fences where they crawl through.

PS,The A hole that shoots my cat better not have any thing he is close to.

Comment

Well all you "cat lovers" should keep the things
      at home. Just like dog owners are required to. I get very
      tired of picking up cat poop all over my back yard and
      repairing damage to flower beds due to cats using them
      for litter boxes. I also get tired of traping them and
      taking to the pound and a few days later theyre back.
      If they are running loose there "feral" and are open season.
      ...lew...

Comment

IOWOLF, I knew you were yanking my chain. That's why I had to respond.

I agree with you about collars. Regular collars can be deadly for cats. The elastic collars that won't hang a cat gets pulled off and lost after a few days. A collar makes no sense for a cat.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lynn Standish:
          A bunch of us like to see how far away we can shoot them. My longest so far is 850 yards</font>
          Lynn
          I think that in a few more years I will need scope to do that.

Have Fun
          Be Safe

Comment

I used to be a groundhog killer. Best shot ever was a measured 385 yards right through the varmints neck. I use a sauer 200 in .270 calibre with 90 grain hollow point boattail bullets. Amazing accuracy. Awesome and devestating effects. I once saw two big ground hogs in a field playing and actually rubbing there noses together. Kinda like I do to my wife. After that i quit terminating them and also cause I used to take europeans moose hunting way up north. In our area groundhogs are almost extinct. Take care Madman

Comment

Like Lew, I'm tired of the neighbors cat climbing on my truck. Why can't they keep Fluffy in the house as dog owners are required. Here's a video for all the cat lovers.

http://www.m90.org/view_image.php?image_id=2057

Robert

Comment

PETA was down here protecting the nuetra rats those poor,defenseless 35lb rats

PETA lady(read dimwit Trustifarian)decided to resuce one trapped in a guy's backyard.She reached down to pick it up and even though she had on glooves it bit the end of her middle finger off down to the first joint,after that nobody had a problem with killing neutra

Don't know if they still do,but Louisiana used to have a $3 a head bounty on the buggers because they strip the landscape of everything green.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 03-18-2005).]
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

My personal favorite

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

IBEW, Tinker2, et al....

I like to build and tinker with rifles. The rifle I used for that shot was a big .22, i.e. a 6.5 x 55 Swede case necked down to .224. It has a 30" straight cylinder barrel (1.25" diameter from breech to muzzle). It is built on a trued Remington 700 action with a 2 oz. trigger, and the whole barrel and action are attached to a McMillan Tooley MBR stock via a barrel block in front of the action. This means the action and barrel are free floated with only the barrel block touching the stock. At the moment, it's wearing a Pentax 8.5 - 32 X scope with a mil-dot ranging reticle, mounted on tapered bases. The tapered bases are so there will be enough elevation adjustment in the scope to get out to 1,000 yards and beyond. It is set up with a tight neck chamber (you have to turn some brass off the case necks to get them to fit in the chamber) and throated to use custom 80 grain bullets made by JLK. These come out the end at close to 3600 fps. The whole thing weighs almost 20 lbs, so it is shot off a bench/bags -- not offhand. Lot of $ and time in it, and it's only good for shooting chucks
                    Lynn S.

Comment

I emailed my brother the "snake" post to see if he remembered. Yes he does, slightly differently but he does.

&lt;Quote:&gt;
                      Yes and think it was suppose to be non poisonious PUFF ADDER or something like that for the snake?
                      I was out of diapers. Johnny shot it with his bolt action single = one-shot .22 calibur. Hit it in the head as it was spread out and dancing like a cobra's head before it struck. It was a vicious acting snake.

Incidently if you remember Johnny shot like that for a reason = I liked squirrel dumplins.
                      Only food - meat we had at times!
                      He was probably the best shot in the family seen him shoot a squirrel on the run up a limb and still hit it in the eye at about 75 yards or better. That snake was probably an easier shot. As for the snake if you remember Johnny used to collect snakes and I had a stick in my hand was going to get that snake for him. Remember he used to catch snakes with a stick. Just trying to be like big brother for catching a snake with a stick.
                      I read somewhere that Some Puff Adders are poisonious - for whatever reason Johnny did not want to catch that snake?

hwehehehe.

Don

&lt;End quote&gt;

Minor differences in memory, but reading his email reminded me of him "out shooting" me with "my" bull barreled Ruger pistol. So, even building the "best" rifle you can imagine expect to get out shot by someone you never expected.

David

Comment

I dont have ground hogs or snakes here to shoot at but the squirls are fare game (and the cat that decided my porch was a good litter box) when people offer to give me a cat I tell them "no thanks I dont need the target practice today" I get some dirty looks but they get the message

Matt in AK
                        Matt in AK

Comment

Lynn

Sounds like a very nice setup. Show us some pictures of it. Pictures of
                          how it’s mounted in the stock. tell us what you did to true up the action.
                          What’s the reason behind the 6.5X55 to 22. choice?? I think that a
                          lot of people on this bbs have some interest in some gunsmithing.

I like to build and tinker with firearms also. I like the 6.5X55 I would
                          probably like it necked up or down also. I’m not a benchrest shooter
                          but I do like good workmanship. Start a new post and show us.

Have Fun
                          Be Safe

Comment

Working...
                          X