OT: Groundhog SEASON???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Groundhog SEASON???

When researching my new rifle I came across some varmint hunting websites. I've also been looking at the hunting information put out by the state of Iowa.

In Iowa groundhogs are considered a furbearer so you must either have a furbearer's license or a hunting license to take them. There is also a season!!!

Coyotes can be taken without limit 24 hours a day every day of the year but not groundhogs.

What do they make out of groundhog pelts, ladies coats?

Is it common for states to have a season on groundhogs?

On these websites I noticed people are talking about the groundhogs they've already taken. Not here. Hunters in Iowa have to wait another 3 months.

What's it like in your state?

Prarie Dogs are listed as a non game species in Texas. They are not protected and there is no season or limit.
    When I was a kid living in West Texas we hunted them some. I remember seeing huge towns of them that covered many acres. They make pretty good Coyote bait. A small light colored Owl, the Burrowing Owl or Dog Owl as we called it lived in the abandoned prarie dog holes and these birds would flush litterally at your feet creating much excitement...

Comment

the following is a quote directly from the PA Game commission web site. You do need a hunting license and an orange cap while hunting them.

WOODCHUCKS (GROUNDHOGS): No closed season, except Sundays and during the antlered and antlerless deer seasons and until noon daily during the spring gobbler turkey season.

Arbo & Thor (The Junkyard Dog)

Comment

Here in Idaho, we call them Rockchucks because they like to burrow between the lava rock outcrops to make their colonies. It's about time for them to show up (they only come out of hibernation during the cool spring months and then go back down where it's cool). A bunch of us like to see how far away we can shoot them. My longest so far is 850 yards, but I'm sure I'll get a longer opportunity soon. Here, you have to have a hunting license to carry a gun in the field, but that's about it.
        Lynn S.

Comment

Well Dan, it is about the same here. But who would want to kill such a warm and fuzzy critter?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
            Well Dan, it is about the same here. But who would want to kill such a warm and fuzzy critter?</font>
            Anyone who has had their garden mowed down to the ground by those bastiges.

Comment

or anyone who has had a polebarn knocked over, or anyone who has had a house foundation burrowed under, or anyone who has had a horse break a leg in one of their holes, or.....

i'm in PA and as Arbo posted, you can pretty much blast them any time you want. while not quite as populous as prairie dogs, there are a lot of them around.

andy b.
              The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

But, how will we know if there's to be six more weeks of winter? ...huh?
                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Pretty much agree with andy_b.Polebarns,old houses,livestock.....reason enough.

Start(and usually end with)with a .223.

When distances or wind is a touch long,.243

Iffin in a hurry or particularlly angry,30-06

Up close and personal,.45 ACP or .44's

Get the H*ll outta the garden,12 gauge

Comment

If the following proposal goes through we might be able to offer you an alternative to groundhogs here in Wisconsin.

http://www.madison.com/archives/read...6:406059:FRONT

This has provided some interesting discussion in the editorial page for the last couple weeks.The guy who has proposed this has even had a couple of death threats because of this.Those of us who have grown up in rural America understand that stray animals (pre PC term) sometimes had to be dispatched as they were a threat to our livestock and pets.My dad maintained a line of bluebird houses for years and I'm sure the trusty Winchester helped Mother Nature on occasion.I guess the PETA folks in Madison (60 sq miles surrounded by reality) don't understand that.Nueter and release?????Right----I guess you loose your appetite for tweety birds when you loose your balls.
                    Rich

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lynnl:
                      But, how will we know if there's to be six more weeks of winter? ...huh?</font>
                      Rent the movie.........
                      RPease

Comment

Great, shooting peoples pets... Most pet cats dont have collars.

Comment

IOWOLF said, "Well Dan, it is about the same here. But who would want to kill such a warm and fuzzy critter?"

Since you're also in Iowa I would hope it's about the same where you are.

Of course, I'd never shoot the warm little fuzzy creatures.

Comment

After Memorial Day, they turn out really delicious on a Barbeque grill.

Comment

LYNN..

I'd liked to have seen the 850 yard prarie dog shot. GEEZE, talk about ZEN.

Let me rephrase that. Impossible for me. My older brother did things with a $7 22 I have trouble with a $2500 rifle.

I watched him shoot a viper through the head at 100 yards, my baby brother was walking toward it in a diaper. He had went after his rifle and came out to see our lil brother heading toward it and he was too far away to intervene.
                              If I missed a squirrel and shot it through the body he griped me all the way home.

He died at 18, perfect teeth, perfect eyes.

David

Comment

Working...
                              X