OT My son's new hand made guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul Gauthier:
    Having no knowlege and no ability to play I must ask, Why fretless?????

</font>
    no, the question is WHY NOT?

honestly though, it gives you a mellower tone, infinitely adjustable intonation while playing and it's cool. i've always wanted to de-fret my old piece of crap korean bass i got in the 6th grade, but i haven't touched my good bass in atleast 6 months, so scratch that...

i need to wire up the new motor for my mill anyways...
    -paul

Comment

A 6 string bass? is this new?

Comment

I don't know anything about bass guitars but it looks like you guys did a nice job there. Bet he learned a thing or two about patience also
        Russ
        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IOWOLF:
          A 6 string bass? is this new?</font>
          Starting in 80's lots of 5 string basses were popular. It was just a natural step up to 6 string basses. It gives the guitar players a familiar string layout with the pitch of a bass. They've been fairly common for for at least 10 years or so.
          Craig

Comment

Nice job on the guitar. A friend of mine just finished building his own guitar, looks great and he's getting a kick out of playing it. My guitar project has been on hold for awhile now.
            When in vegas last year I saw a 15 string bass. 5 groups of 3 strings.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Nice work!What wood is that,maple?
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Good job, and it looks like he's put the much needed truss rod in. I have seen a couple of home made quitars that the quy left that out. They are now wall hangers.

------------------
                Gene
                Gene

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words!

The Bass was built on a budget, so we used inexpensive materials where we could. The neck is maple(from home depot) laminated with mahogany (from a couple of left over door jams) and the sides of the body are poplar.
                  The hardware was all bought on ebay, and was also budget priced.
                  The only full price items were the truss rod amd the strings.
                  We figured that we could upgrade the hardware if the thing worked out really well.
                  As it is, I expect the total bill would come close to $250-300 cdn. but I haven't been keeping close track.

Helping him has given me a real appreciation for shop teachers! Keeping my hands off and letting him make mistakes (then figuring out how to fix them) has been a real challange.

Cheers
                  Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X