No announcement yet.

Adding a gearbox to a SB 9" lathe......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a gearbox to a SB 9" lathe......

I have a Southbend 9" lathe with a 54" bed that did not come with a gearbox. I have since bought two gearboxes and one came with the leadscrew, gearbox, sector bracket/gears but it is for a shorter bed than what I have. Is it feasible to cut the two leadscrews and make one? How much stress is placed on the leadscrew when the gearbox is operating? Thanks, emj.

Add an extension to the short lead screw. I doubt very little work is ever done with the average user on the far right end of the bed.

JRW

Comment

Is it possible to modify the non-QC leadscrew? That would be my first choice.

If not, I have seen writeups on splicing leadscrews by turning a reduced diameter spigot on one piece to fit a bored hole in the other and silver soldering them together. Care should be taken to maintain concentricity and matching the threads of course.

I would make the joint about 1" long.
      Jim H.

Comment

I've used the method JC mentions. Works well on shafting as long as spigot OD and bore ID are close -- size-on-size preferably. Never tried this with an Acme thread like the SB leadscrew but it should work well.
        Barry Milton

Comment

I would just order a length of new precision acme rod (MSC carries it), and turn it to fit the gearbox and end bearing.

Comment

if your model c came with a leadscrew, your better off using it. you will have to cut the left end off to fit to the gearbox and cut a keyway the length of the acme thread, this cost me $35.00 at a local machine shop. good luck

[This message has been edited by rick peer (edited 03-21-2005).]
            rick

Comment

[This message has been edited by emj (edited 03-21-2005).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by J. R. Williams:
                Add an extension to the short lead screw. I doubt very little work is ever done with the average user on the far right end of the bed.

JRW
                </font>

I never thought of that. Thanks,emj.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rick peer:
                  if your model c came with a leadscrew, your better off using it. you will have to cut the left end off to fit to the gearbox and cut a keyway the length of the acme thread, this cost me $35.00 at a local machine shop. good luck

[This message has been edited by rick peer (edited 03-21-2005).]
                  </font>

I was kind of thinking of doing this also. I may try adding an extension on the leadscrew that came with one of the gearboxes as mentioned by JRW and see how well it works. Thanks,emj.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JCHannum:
                    Is it possible to modify the non-QC leadscrew? That would be my first choice.

If not, I have seen writeups on splicing leadscrews by turning a reduced diameter spigot on one piece to fit a bored hole in the other and silver soldering them together. Care should be taken to maintain concentricity and matching the threads of course.

I would make the joint about 1" long.
                    </font>
                    Another option to consider. Thanks, emj.

Comment

I would be concerned about accuracy in splicing the leadscrew together. It is going to be hard to synchronize the two threads. What you will have is a jump in threads at that point, likely worse than any wear that might be found on a well used screw.

I would either construct another one from precision acme rod or look for the correct one on E-Bay or other used sources. Sadly, many SBs are parted out.

Paul A.
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Make it fit.
                      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paul Alciatore:
                        I would be concerned about accuracy in splicing the leadscrew together. It is going to be hard to synchronize the two threads. What you will have is a jump in threads at that point, likely worse than any wear that might be found on a well used screw.

I would either construct another one from precision acme rod or look for the correct one on E-Bay or other used sources. Sadly, many SBs are parted out.

Paul A.
                        </font>

The added extension will be at the rear of the leadscrew where there are no threads. If I cut/splice the front of the leadscrews together, it would be just after the front leadscrew support. There is a large diameter journal located just past the support. Or machine the leadscrew off my 54" bed SB to match the shorter leadscrew that came with one of the gearboxes. I have a few more options then I originally thought I had. Thanks, emj.

Comment

What I want to know is what are you going to do with the extra gearbox?
                          David from jax

------------------
                          Have gun, will travel.
                          A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

Working...
                          X